 Off-Topic / Debate / 24926
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:53:01 GMT

   Nuts! I am a huge fan of ST:TNG, ST:DN9, and ST:V, but I never got into B5. I guess I’ll never know what you are talking about;-)

It’s never too late to get started. The entire series is out on DVD, along with the two more pivotal MfTV movies. All you’d really need to do is buy or rent the first three seasons, or even just the third season (since that’s where this whole bit comes to a head).

   You are correct; I, however, would content that the vast majority of Iraqis want a free government and that the troublemakers are merely a few thousand,

Even one man with a bomb can cause a huge impact, not only on the immediate victims and their friends and family, but on the mental well-being of the society in general. Ireland (including both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) was plagued by the sort of violence seen all over the Middle East, until those who had been locked away in The Maze finally figured out that they weren’t accomplishing anything other than bolstering the funerary business and keeping themselves away from their friends and family, and collectively agreed to get their acts together.

   though their impact is greatly magnified by an American press that would love nothing better than for us to fail in our efforts in Iraq and thus reflect poorly on our President whom they pathologically hate.

We won the first two wars in Iraq (the Gulf War and the Iraqi War) and now we’re fighting our third. This is the hardest one to fight because it’s a waiting war. We sit and wait for them to attack us, and do our best to stop them. We’ve lost the advantage of mobility, because we’re now the occupying power. We’ve lost the advantage of knowing where the enemy is, because we’re standing where they used to be, and they’ve gone into hiding. This is not a trivial matter, and this is exactly the sort of war that we can’t win solely by superior firepower. Just like with the Vietnam War, we’re fighting to defend rather than to defeat, we don’t know where the enemy is anymore, and American public opinion is fragmented regarding what we should do, or if we should have one anything. We are our own worst enemy. We stand victorious when we’re united in the desire to win, and we crumble and fail when we feel we shouldn’t have gotten involved.