 Off-Topic / Debate / 24933
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:39:44 GMT

True, the Iraqi situation doesn't directly have anything to do with global
terrorism, but here's an analogy--

You're a police officer

Your duty is to protect the innocent civilians.

You and your fellow citizens see a bully acting against the best interests of
'some other group of citizens' outside the purview of, well, you, but, due to
whatever circumstances, you decide to intercede.

But wait!  You then find yourself mired in a difficult situation in a diffferent
juristiction and you think about 'gettin' the heck outta dodge!'.

To other bullys around the world, you basically backed off 'cause you don't have
the stomach for it and they, justifyably or not, think they can get away with it
"'cause the cop ain't gonna do nuttin'"

I'm not certain that I follow the analogy, but maybe.  So what if they think
that?  If I do what I believe is "right" each and every time I have to make a
decision, they will learn what I have the stomach for.

If the officer didn't get involved in the situation outside of his juristiction
in the first place, and let the citizens of that local community handle it, hey,
no harm no foul.

At least, thats the way it's gonna look.

I don't care what terrorists think about our reasons for leaving.  If being
there is the wrong choice (when rolling all of reality together) then we should
back out.  And if not, then we should get more serious about our game of
whack-a-mole.

Again, I'm debating this and I haven't totally made up my mind.  Is there an
exit strategy for the US that, today, will not embolden terrorist organizations
around the world, and not leave the Iraqi people (again!) 'hangin' out to dry'?

I'm _much_ more concerned by the latter issue.  I think we have taken on a
certain level of responsibility to the good people of Iraq (and this started
long, long ago, really) and it's time to step on up and satsify that
responsibility.

Chris