 Off-Topic / Debate / 24932
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:16:29 GMT

[snip the redundant redundancy]

   If the first amendment doesn’t mean exactly what it says and protect all religious beliefs equally, why would we need a constitutional amendment against gay marriage?

If they’re trying to pass an amendment, the 1st Amendment doesn’t apply. It only prohibits laws. Besides, the issue of same-sex marriage may be religiously driven, but outlawing it isn’t either endorsing or prohibiting any specific religion, so it’s not unconstitutional on that basis.

Incorrect, as some churches now support gay marraige, denying them the right to legally marry homosexuals is a violation of their religious freedom.

”We have no right to prejudice another in his civil enjoyments because he is of another church.” --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Religion, 1776.

”[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom... was finally passed,... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word “Jesus Christ,” so that it should read “a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion.” The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination.” --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.

You can find many more on the University of Virginia’s website here. Freedom of Religion is link number 52

-Mike Petrucelli