 Off-Topic / Debate / 24875
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:05:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
We should either conquer them or get the hell out.

We'd lose any remaining credibility if we just annexed them into the US (not to
mention the added drawback of being permanently stuck with them until either we
or they are all dead, which is really a greater cost than the oil is worth), and
we are gradually reducing our involvement towards pulling out altogether.  The
trick is that our victory or loss here is going to ultimately be decided by what
happens after we're gone.  If Iraq can sustain itself as a democracy without US
troops standing around to enforce it, it's a victory.  If things start
spiralling downward soon after we leave, and they end up under the subjugative
control of one or more warlords/radical clerics, it's a loss.  And if it looks
like we were forced to retreat by terrorists and/or insurgents, it's also a
loss.