 Off-Topic / Debate / 24863
Re: Not the right way to exit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:12:31 GMT

   Most of you know I am no fan of our present little war.

However: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=4&u=/ap/20040719/aponreas/philippinesiraq

... that seems the wrong way to exit.

The Philippines were leaving anyway; the kidnapping just hastened things a little. They may well have been part of Bush’s Coalition of the Coerced; but I expect their ~50 troops where nothing but a token.

   Those who point out that this action shows that threatening hostages to try to influence countries is now more likely rather than less have a valid point, I think.

I agree, but I expect the amount of influnce depends on the nation concerned; think about how your nation reacted when your countryman was beheaded... the “prison abuse scandal” was all but eclipsed.

   ... Win the war, lose the peace, I said before. I was wrong. The war wasn’t over then (when I said it), it was still going on, I just didn’t realise it.

And, make no mistake we’re losing it. This is a significant defeat, I think.

There’s a saying... “choose your battles, so you can win the ones that matter rather than wasting effort on those that don’t”. The bushies never heard of it, apparently, or chose unwisely. This WAS an unimportant war before it started... but if the US loses it, it’s a defeat for the US, so it has become an important one to win.

You want to win for the sake of winning?

   And I don’t see how it CAN be won, any more.

It has been lost already: The USA is now not trusted and its enemies have been proven right... Part of this is Bush’s baggage, but the rest will be harder to shift.

How much better it would have been to have chosen not to fight this one in the first place.

...as was said long before the war started.

“Honest friendship with all who wish it, entangling alliances with none” Our friendship with dictators is dishonest to the people they oppress. Our alliances drag us into no win situations.

Or, as John Neal would say: “win-win-win”. ;)

Scott A

“Walk softly and carry a big stick” The bushies walk loudly and carry inadequate sticks.