 Off-Topic / Debate / 24911
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:04:03 GMT

   This is the point on which we apparently cannot agree. Let me restate that I absolutely 100% support a the right of a church/faith/etc. to set the criteria for legitimate marriage within that church/faith/etc. However, those criteria are entirely separate from the legal criteria under the Constitution. By all means, let the individual private groups set their standards, but they have no business forcing their own views upon society as a whole.

But the fact remains that our society’s standards, as a whole, are Judeo-Christian in origin.

Over the past couple of months I have occasionally been sending letters to the local paper in my neck of the woods in response to another gentleman who has been doing the same. (Most of which, the paper has been printing on both sides of the disscusion. Its nice having a small town local paper that is actually unbiased and prints both sides with equal respect.) His views are very similar to yours Mr. Neal. The letter which I have sent to the paper this morrning actually has surprising relavence to this specific debate on the issue. And so here its is:

Last time I checked preventing religious zealots from forcing their beliefs on others counts as enforcing freedom of religion. If people perceive that Judea-Christian (and Muslim as all three worship the God of Abram) religion is somehow under attack, it is simply because those religions have been sticking their noses where they don’t belong. [The person] stated that the unconstitutional addition of the phrase, “under God,” to the Pledge of Allegiance is based on a new interpretation of the constitution. The Baptist Minister Francis Bellamy, the author of the pledge, intentionally left out any mention of God so it would not violate the constitution. That is not exactly what I would call a new interpretation.

To the continuing assertion that Christianity is the foundation of our country, I once again point out article eleven of the Treaty of Peace and Friendship from the Barbary Treaties. It states: “As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, ...no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.” This treaty was ratified by congress June 10, 1797. You can find it on the Yale Law School’s internet site.

We must remember that when we declared our independence from the British crown that the crown was the head of the Church of England. Lets also not forget that at the time, anyone who pointed out the corruption in the Catholic Church was branded a heretic by the Inquisition. (Very similar to the current state of Islamic faith.) Don’t forget that Galileo was still considered a heretic even though anyone with a telescope and some mathematics skills could easily see he was correct in his assertion that the Earth revolved around the sun, rather than the other way around as the Church maintained. Yes, our founders were aware of these things.

Lets go back to the issue that really started all of this, Gay Marriage. People have been saying that we can not allow activist judges to change our laws via creative misinterpretation of the Constitution. (which would also apply to issue of ‘under god’ in the Pledge) Unfortunately for those who wish to force their religious beliefs on us, all of the court rulings regarding Gay Marriage (and the Pledge) are completely accurate to the meaning and intent of first amendment. (An example of an actual creative misinterpretation would be the notion that the second amendment ratified in 1791 does not refer to the people as it says but rather the national guard which was created in 1917. Do you see how that is an attempt to change the second amendment’s meaning, where enforcing what the first amendment actually says is not a misinterpretation?)

The real problem is that the definition of marriage was changed many decades ago when the government began controlling it. People can actually get married without a church, temple, etc., and a church, temple, etc. can’t legally marry people with out the government’s permission. Outrageous isn’t it. The damage has already been done, in order to comply with the first amendment either the government must abolish legal marriages altogether and allow churches, temples, etc. to handle it themselves or the government must allow any willing participants to be married. Of course I should point out that some Churches recently began supporting gay marriage, sparking the debate in the first place. This is the one point which I have yet to see a response from anyone. If the first amendment doesn’t mean exactly what it says and protect all religious beliefs equally, why would we need a constitutional amendment against gay marriage?

-Mike Petrucelli