 Off-Topic / Debate / 24953
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:11:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

Why is *change* a bad thing in and of itself, rather than evaluated by
the *outcome* of the change?

Well, that is kind of the defining belief of "conservative," right?

Let's hope not :) If stated so, I have a hunch lots of people would start
migrating over to the liberal side :)

Who cares what the Bible and the US government say about marriage--
shouldn't we figure out what's *right*, and go with that?

But I think John believes that if the Bible says something, it _is_ right.
That's the measure of rightness.  So he doesn't need to look farther.

Well, I doubt that's John's point since I don't think he's interested in making
other laws to:

- attend church on Sunday
- accept Jesus as your savior
- not have pre-marital sex
- force charitable donations
- 'honoring' your parents
- restrict any and all forms of homosexuality

etc, etc. He's free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he thinks that
the US law should be based on the Bible. Note I said what's "right" versus
what's "moral" (just vs. moral), since my guess is that John also believes that
it's one's personal choice to be moral, and that the government should not
restrict morality, but that a government should instead attempt to enforce
justice. I could be wrong, though, I'm not John.

I think his point is that *besides* the fact that it's immoral to marry someone
of the same gender, that it's somehow detrimental to society at large to allow
gay marriage to occur. I'm not sure *how*, but I think that was his point in the
previous debate. I think those were the two questions I didn't really get
answered:

1) Why is change inherently bad, regardless of the outcome? (IE why not change
the *definition* of marriage?)

2) How will making that change negatively impact others? (Apart from those who
seemingly are just annoyed with the prospect itself)

DaveE