 Off-Topic / Debate / 23526
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:16:07 GMT

I guess what I’m getting at (whether or not my example is helping me!) is this: to people who accept the Gospels as Truth (i.e., to people “within” the Gospel universe), the four sources Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are believed to be sufficiently independent to be used as validation of each other’s work.

I am still working on a full reply to your post, but let me inject here briefly. That there are 4 Gospels does not add any form of credibility to the veracity of the Gospel (Good News) to most Christians, and certainly not me. In fact, there were many many Gospels written, and these four were chosen to be included in the Canon. I will blather on about the Q source and Synoptic theory later.

   But to someone who doesn’t accept the Gospels as Truth (i.e., people “outside” the Gospel universe), the four sources are subsumed into a single source, namely the Gospels. As such, to someone outside the Gospel-believing set, the four sources are in fact one source, and no part of that source can independently validate any other part of that source.

Could you provide a more decisive example? I used the clone-guy vs. non-clone-guys example for humor, of course, but it’s not so funny if my example doesn’t further the argument!

For me, at least, the argument is mute;-) I would concede your point, because I believe it to be a non-issue.

JOHN