 Off-Topic / Debate / 23456
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Are you saying the Pope was politically motivated,

I am not a Catholic so whatever the Pope says is inconsequential to me-- I have no idea as to his motivations.

Pope aside, are saying that the statments made by many church leaders were politically motivated?

I don’t know which leaders you are talking about and even if I did I wouldn’t have any idea as to their motivations (unless they so indicated). I come from a traditional that believes that each and every person has direct access to God without the need of intercessors. So any “Church Leader” that “speaks out” in my mind is on his/her own and is taking advantage of their free speech rights rather than as some spokesperson for the Church as a whole.

   or that killing tens of thousands in Iraq was a political decision?

Many died in Iraq because of SH’s refusal to abdicate his rule.

He was under no obligation to step down.

You are correct. We threatened him. He thought we were bluffing; turns out we weren’t.

   If he had stepped down, there would have been no need to invade in order to force him to leave. In the end it was a decision of national security (of the US)

Come on John, that lie has been long exsposed. Your naivety must be starting to wear by now?

This topic is pretty well beaten, Scott. If you want to consider the whole WMD thing a “lie”, that is your right. To me lying implies deliberate deception; everybody assumed SH still had WMDs (and that is not to say that they could still turn up in Syria or something).

Even in hindsight I believe that SH’s deposition was still a good thing because he was a menace and a friend of terrorists. I believe it is totally appropriate to threaten any and all leaders of any nation who aid and abett terrorists. (Please shock me and refrain from mentioning Israel...;-)

JOHN