 Off-Topic / Debate / 23451
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:13:50 GMT

   I submit that the DOMA is unconstitutional as written, so it’s hardly “activist” for a judge to rule against it.

Well, it is if the law hasn’t even been contested before them yet! There is a process with which they apparently cannot be bothered.

I’m a little lost on the pronouns here--does “they” refer to the people getting married and/or the people performing/solemnizing those marriages?

Sorry. I was referring to those performing the marriages. California’s Prop 22 specifically bans same-sex marriage! I mean, what the hey?

   My understanding is that the DOMA frees states from the obligation to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, but it doesn’t expressly forbid such marriages from occurring. If I’m incorrect, I would appreciate clarification.

This is the problem. Nothing seems to matter-- federal law or state law. Both are in effect and yet gay marriages are being performed regardless.

   Anyway, since the DOMA therefore denies same-sex couples a right afforded to opposite-sex couples, then the DOMA denies the civil right to marry to a portion of the population based solely on the choice of spouse.

If a law’s unconstitutional, it’s unconstitutional from inception.

I disagree that there exists a civil right to marriage (feel free to cite the Constitution to prove me wrong). Having said that, I tend to agree with you that DOMA wouldn’t hold up under Article 14. This is why the only resort is to actually amend the Constitution (as generally unpleasant that is).

   The question remains: why did Dubya identify this as a state’s rights issue during his 2000 campaign, but now it’s a Federal issue?

Good question. I think he believed that judges would actually uphold the law of the land rather than capriciously ignoring it. Federal action is the only check available in our system of checks and balances to combant this type of unprecedented action.

In this regard I would caution that Dubya himself has little regard for the system of checks & balances. For example, consider his interim appointment of Pickering, thereby circumventing the Constitutionally-enshrined right of the legislature to reject appointment of unsuitable judges.

“Unsuitable judges”?? Look at the unprecedented Democratic blocking of Bush’s judicial nominations such as Miguel Estrada! It is disgusting partisanship and bigotted litmus tests (which are illegal IMO) that has forced Bush to play hardball.

   Dubya has also resisted (and Cheney has flat-out refused) bipartisan and/or independent investigative efforts by the legislature into such matters as pre-9/11 intelligence, energy policy, and pre-Iraq-war intelligence. The powers of investigation are tools by which checks and balances are maintained, but Dubya has found it expedient simply to ignore those balances (while hiding behind the catch-all curtain of “national security).

It is so hard to argue about such issues when many if not most of the facts are unavailable, justifiably or not. What it really boils down to is an issue of trust of Bush’s character which I have and you don’t.

   It should be a state issue in theory, but it can’t be a state issue in practice because of Article IV of the Constitution. Too many states won’t tolerate the recognition of any other union besides 1 man and 1 woman as they would be forced to do. The issue has been forced to a head by activist judiciaries and the only solution is an Amendment to the Constitution. What other recourse do you see for opponents of changing the definition of marriage?

Well, if such opponents wish to change the sectarian definition of marriage, then I support their efforts absolutely.

Why? I thought you preferred that the government simply not recognize any marriages at all?

Maybe I misunderstood you (and maybe sectarian was poor word choice). What I meant was that I wholly support any faith’s right to acknowledge or disavow marriages within that faith, but I abhor efforts by any religious group to enshrine their definition of marriage in the Constitution.

Regardless of where the concept of marriage originated, I think that the model of 1 father and 1 mother is the ideal situation in which to raise the next generation. This model has worked fairly well over the centuries and I and most other Americans aren’t willing to risk an entire generation on some Liberal social experiment. Those who propose changing the definition of marriage haven’t really thought through the monumental consequences to our society. This really isn’t an issue of bigotry against gays. It goes way beyond that.

   However, if they seek to deny marital rights by altering the Constitution, then I oppose them absolutely.

No one is denying any rights to anyone. Everyone is free to marry 1 member of the opposite sex.

But that very formulation is the part that denies civil rights!

Again, I see no provision in the Constitution stating marriage is a civil right. Citing “Equal Protection under the law” isn’t germane, since all are free to enter into a 1 man 1 woman marriage. That someone doesn’t like the numbers or sexes of that equation is a mute point:-)

   I would suggest that the proper phrasing might be this: Congress shall make no law abridging the rights of citizens to enter into the legal contract of marriage. If you want to restrict that to non-minors, I would agree that such a restriction is consistent with the general non-eligibility of minors to enter into legal contracts.

   If you expand the numbers or the gender, you have changed the very essence of what marriage is by definition. And even if you do that, by what logic do you prevent 2 brothers from marrying, or 2 sisters, or 2 guys and 3 gals. I don’t think you can.

I’m on record saying that I don’t object to polygamous marriage, and elsewhere I’ve asserted that I don’t see why siblings should not be allowed to wed. Admittedly, I wouldn’t choose to enter into either such marriage, but that doesn’t give me any right or reason to forbid others from doing so.

I remember you saying so. And I applaud your consistency. Trouble is, you are so in the minority that the overwhelming will of the people cannot be ignored.

   Regardless, the question isn’t about what recourse I can suggest; the question is why did Dubya in 2000 think this was a states’ rights issue, but now he thinks it’s a Federal issue? I mean, the 14th Amendment wasn’t ratified in the interim...

True, but legislation through judical fiat is rather a new twist...

Is it? I’ll need to research it, but I have the sense that judicial annulment of laws has been going on for many years.

Explain how California can have a law like Prop 22, how the US can have a federal law like DOMA and yet some quack in San Francisco decides to recognize and perform gay marriages anyway. Seems to me laws, whether they be state or federal are meaningless on this issue.

JOHN