 Off-Topic / Debate / 23514
Re: Terrorists hate freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:28:24 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:

   This is key, because “terrorism” is defined as the targeting of innocents with the goal of breaking a society or group’s resolve-- to use its own humanity against itself in order to cooerce it into change. It is, in fact, impossible to “terrorize” a military, because violence perpetrated against an army is called “war”, not “terrorism”. This is why terrorism is so disgusting, because it is so cowardly. If you want to oppose a government, then rise up against the government!, not against its citizens! But the cowards might think, “We are not powerful enough to oppose the government, let us strike out at it by killing its citizens instead”. This is not “clever”, but immoral and despicable. Or, at its essence: 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

I agree totally. Obviously Truman didn’t.

Less innocent US lives were lost (as well as aggregate Japanese lives compared to a land invasion). Also, Truman targeted industrial cities, rather than Tokyo, a target where the optimal amount of civilian deaths would have occurred. I agree that it was a difficult decision, because Truman had the power to decide which innocents would die (not whether innocents would die)

But a land invasion was tried first! “Oh well, that didn’t work looks like more innocents will die that way, lets go with the nuke and see how well that works”. And they didn’t stop at one to see if it worked, they killed many more thousands with a second bomb, just to increase the probabilities a bit. There was no guarantee it would work (to end the war), no matter how anyone wants to argue there was. They were playing the percentages.

   Liberation from Evil = Evil from Liberation.

I don’t get this, sorry.

If I am being evilly oppressed, and I use evil to liberate myself, I am mimicing my oppressor and therefore loosing any moral justification for freeing myself.

Does freedom require moral justification now?

I am talking about actions taken while attempting to gain it.

So if a single Iraqi had taken it upon themself to murder Saddam, they don’t deserve freedom because it was morally unjustified? Is murdering Saddam “less evil” than murdering an innocent civilian? Would that person be more or less “morally justified” if they chose to detonate a suicide bomb in the vicinity of Saddam, even knowing it would kill innocent civilians too?

   I am a fan of democracy. A big fan. I don’t believe in forcing on people, and I don’t believe in simply giving it to people. Democracy has to be won.

This is a very interesting assertion. I’m not sure what to do with it. On the one hand, I believe that things obtained freely are valued less than things earned. But does this apply to freedoms which we believe are innate and the right of every person?

Does that include the freedoms that require moral justification?

You are missing my point. Everyone has the innate right to be free. What I am saying is that you do not have a moral right to take away my freedom to obtain yours.

But if it is the only way I see to obtain my freedom (misguided or not) I will most likely take it (moral or not).

   Are we all be truly “free” if there are others who are oppressed? Are we, as Democracies, and especially as Super-Power Democracies morally bound to help the oppressed people of the world? Are the free obligated to help the unfree? Are the wealthy obligated to assist the poor?

Nope, but it sure does give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I happen to believe they are moral obligations of the rich and free.

It was sarcasm. Sorry for not making that clearer. As for the question, which I assume was about America (and allies) assisting Iraq, I think the jury is still out. Sure Saddam is out of the way, but are the Iraqis any better off? Less torture & stuff, but now they just have to dodge the shells targetting their new police force. Time will tell.

   And what about you? Given the world situation in 1945, would you kill thousands of “innocent” civilians if you were pretty sure it would end a war?

It is a hard question, but it must be acknowledged that, either way, thousands of innocents were going to be killed. All that was unknown was which ones in particular. Given that rationale, choosing the path which spared the most innocent lives seems logical.

But they didn’t give a hoot about sparing the lives of the residents of Nagasaki.

   Let’s be clear what we are talking about here. Are you saying that you would kill an innocent person to alleviate some “greater hurt”? I ask you: what can be worse than an innocent being killed? I know of nothing, except more of the same.

And yet here you say it can be rational to do so. In the thousands.

See above. I am consistent. I said the only thing worse than the death of an innocent is more of the same. If dropping the bombs saved innocent lives in the aggregate, then it was a rational decision.

Well the great thing is we’ll never know, so that argument can’t be refuted. Similar situation in Iraq. If saving innocent lives was so important, why wasn’t Saddam finished off in 1991?

   I need to know if you believe that if someone is desperate enough, they are justified in killing innocents.

Do you mean morally or rationally justified?

Well, both. Neither are justified in my mind.

<SARCASM> Obviously they are. Just not more innocents than would have been killed if they’d done nothing. </SARCASM>

   Show me the economic oppression being suffered by al-qaeda. Their leader is a multi-millionaire.

But their leader doesn’t fly planes into buildings or blow himself up on buses.

What’s your point?

My point is the people doing the evil acts (eg suicide bombers) ARE suffering economic oppression. For their leader it’s just a power trip and something to spend all those billions on. It’s the people that see no other solution than blowing others up that we must find another solution for.

   What are their demands? What do they want? Why don’t we know these things?

Why weren’t we told the real objective of invading Iraq beforehand?

We were.

No, we were told it was to remove the threat of Iraq’s WMD. We still don’t know the real objective, but most think it has something to do with oil and/or to free Iraqis from oppression by an evil dictator.

   Islam is not new. Its been around for considerably longer than western democracy, and even longer than the United States of America. Yet the faith has not been driving people to ruthlessly and violently lash out. For a time, it was the Muslim world that was the scientific and philosophical light of humanity. So why has it suddenly reared up now?

“Wahabism” is a particularily violent anti-Western form of Islam. Why? Who knows; who cares. There is no rational or moral justification for it.

And yet it will continue until we find out why.

What makes you think you can end it by merely finding out the cause?

You can’t. You need to provide an alternative answer for them too.

   What if the reason is because they don’t like your freedom?

Then the alternative answer may be more difficult to come up with. I happen to think people of that mind are in the minority.

   “Everyday people” do not consider targeting innocents to butcher in the most heinous of ways.

And yet heinous crimes occur against innocent people every day in your own country.

Perpetrated by whom? Relevance?

You removed the assertion I was answering, I have re-inserted it. You claim “Everyday people” do not consider heinous crimes against innocents. I refuted it. Do you not agree it is a heinous crime to get totally slammed, then drive your car on public roads? You are playing russian roulette with the lives of people you don’t know. Yet “Everyday people” do it every day. Is it somehow ok to do it for kicks, but not for a cause (misguided or not)?

And if you say “well that isn’t targetting innocent people” I say bullshit.

   we can’t simply kill or imprison them all, even though we seem keen to spend a great deal of money, and undermine a great many personal liberties in an attempt to do just this. We really need to find a way to understand.

That’s all. All we need to do is understand “evil”. Well, good luck, my friend. One doesn’t need to understand evil to combat it; only to identify it. And that is your problem and the problem with the Left in general-- you cannot acknowledge or identify evil.

OK. So show me all the evil in the world. Then show me how you would propose combatting it.

Find the oppressed. Liberate them.

And will you keep endlessly liberating the oppressed until they are brainwashed into thinking you are helping them? And after you’ve spent years finding & liberating, will you go back and liberate the people you thought you’d liberated the first time? Sounds like painting bridges to me - necessary to keep the bridge in good condition and some people employed, but it doesn’t stop the deterioration of the bridge.

   Continue on our current course, evading understanding, thinking that ‘terrorists hate freedom’ only adds fertiliser around the plant, and makes it grow stronger and larger.

Any insight into the reasons/issues/demands of al-qaeda you have would be most helpful. Understanding WRT movitations appears to be a luxury-- all I understand now is that if I don’t stop them, they won’t stop.

And do you seriously think the current course is going to stop them?

What is our choice? Give in to them? Negotiate with them? We will continue to oppose them kill them and hurt them until they see the folly of their actions, or they are all dead. Only then will it stop.

I imagine Bin Laden’s generals are saying much the same thing to many oppressed innocent civilians right now. Who will prevail? The side with the bigger guns? Or the side with more people willing to give their lives in the name of their cause? Are you willing to find out?

ROSCO