 Off-Topic / Debate / 23522
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:26:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

I don't know that it's two steps back.  I can accept that Luke, Matthew, John,
and Mark are separate authors of the Gospels, just as I accept that, say, HP
Lovecraft and August Derleth are separate authors of the Cthulhu Mythos, but
that doesn't mean that Lovecraft's account verifies Derleth's (of vice versa)
except within the context of the Mythos.  In that regard, Luke may validate Mark
within the text of the Gospels, but that doesn't mean that either of them is
validated beyond those contextual confines (i.e., in the real world).

Er-hem.  I know what you are trying to get at, I'm just trying to point out that
your examples aren't exactly the best for doing that (and mostly just to give
you are hard time for humor's sake).  In your example above, all that's true,
but it's pretty much true for your original example of Dave!, Todd, Tim, and
Jake within the confines of Lugnet (bow, genuflect) too.  You need to go back
and fix that example rather than create new examples that repeat the same flaw.

Maybe at this point I need to fall on my sword and admit that I don't understand
quite what you're getting at.  What is the flaw, exactly, in the original
example?

Let me try again, in the spirit of redundancy:

Within a single framework, three independent sources are sufficient to confirm
a statement by a fourth source (the numbers aren’t central at this point;
merely trying to get to the bottom  of it).   But if, to  an external
observer, that entire framework is non-independent, then no confirmation from
within that framework is sufficient confirmation for the external observer.

Do you suppose that my underlying assertion is incorrect, or do you instead
think that my examples just aren’t matching my assertion?

Dave!