 Off-Topic / Debate / 23467
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:32:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper wrote:
   I honestly don’t see how choosing the former makes me a bigot or narrow-minded.

That’s precisely the problem. You are a bigot and narrow-minded, only, you can’t understand that fact and therefore, you think you are not and that everyone else is wrong.

Merely because I think I’m right doesn’t make me narrow-minded or a bigot. You think that you’re right and I’m wrong.... As far as accusing me of thinking that everybody else is wrong, well I think that you have me confused with Dave! :-)

   You compare Gay marriages to brother-sister marriages and group marriages. I don’t see the connection.

I didn’t compare them. I said that if the definition of marriage is expanded beyond the current one of 1 man and 1 woman, I don’t see how one could logically argue to ban brother-brother, or sister-sister, or brother-sister-sister marriages, etc (something which I believe the overwhelming majority of people-- even those who are in favor of gay couple marriages-- would find intolerable).

   I personnally don’t give a damn about marriage.

Hmm, you cared enough to respond...

   This is a religious tradition that has little impact in our modern-days life.

Only that our entire society in based upon it, but other than that, yeah.

   But gays and heteros should have the same privileges, including marriage. As for bros-sis, well, I couldn’t care less either. Most people accept the fact that it’s disgusting. I say that between consenting ADULTS (note the emphasis on adults here), I don’t care if it’s 2 guys, 2 girls, 2 sibblings, 2 different religions or skin colors, etc. If those people love each other in a romantic way, then let them be happy and shut up with your moral contestations.

I say the same thing. This is an issue of the government recognizing such “unions”

   But knowing what kind of individual some people are, I know i’ll get flamed to death for saying that, so here, let me give you the match, I’m already standing on the bonfire and ready.

Nobody is going to light you up for stating your opinion-- you are entitled to it.

JOHN