 Off-Topic / Debate / 23512
Re: Terrorists hate freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 06:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

   No wonder I didn’t get it. I would never have thought that I needed a moral justification for freeing myself from ‘evil oppression’. I’ll think on this some more.

I fear you still don’t get it. I am talking about killing an innocent (unrelated to your oppression) in order to free you from your oppressor. I am saying that that action is morally unjustified.

   “terrorism” is defined as the targeting of innocents with the goal of breaking a society or group’s resolve

I am not sure that there is a useful difference between the concept of ‘targeting civilians’ and recklessly disregarding civilians in ‘targeting combatants’. It comes down to a question of intent with each side making its own unsupported or unsupportable assertions.

WRT to Iraq, the US took great care to avoid civilian casualties. Yes, it comes down to intent. I think the US intent was clear, and homicide bombers’ intentions are also clear. There is no moral equivalence here.

   In my first post on this I talked about targeting combatants and non-combatants alike, as in drawing no distinction, as in ignoring one’s different status, in contrast to targeting John’s “women, pregnant women, the elderly along with children” for the sake of it.

As a side note, its disquieting that John would call all women ‘innocents’ in this regard. Many women I know would find this insulting and the mark of a closet misogynist.

lol what would they say if I called all women “guilty”? Seems I’m damned if I do, and damned if I don’t! :-) The point of the “women and children” is to simply drive home the concept of individuals who are in no way responsible for any harm perpetrated. I’m just trying to insure that we are talking about bonafide innocent people. So, “innocents” = “babies”, and “babies” = “innocents”. I don’t care what the little cusses think about me;-)

   This is why terrorism is so disgusting, because it is so cowardly. If you want to oppose a government, then rise up against the government!, not against its citizens! But the cowards might think, “We are not powerful enough to oppose the government, let us strike out at it by killing its citizens instead”.

This cowardly thingie never ceases to amaze me. Let us contrast taking over an aircraft armed only with a knife and then flying that aircraft to my certain death, with say, flying over a battlefield at 35,000 feet, safe in the knowledge that the enemy has no weapons that can reach me, and carpet bombing it. There are a bunch of derogatory terms that might be applied to terrorists, but cowardly does not stand out as a useful one. And where it is advanced as key, one can only wonder at how thin is the understanding.

Your equivalence is specious. Merely because some puke denies their humanity so much that they can justify to themselves the savage butchery of cold-blooded murder does not for 1 nanosecond imply the least amount of bravery, only the most heinous kind of hatred. Only the worst coward would go on to paradise and X number of virgins rather than face the consequences of their despicable actions. I haven’t the words to express my outrage and contempt for such dirtbags.

   So, you are acknowledging that if you tried and tried and tried to liberate yourself and couldn’t, you could then justify murdering babies (innocents). I need to know if you believe that if someone is desperate enough, they are justified in killing innocents.

This enthusiasm for rushing to extremes is part of the problem. There is no scope for gradations of behaviour, so while we are focussing on the worst possible scenario to fuel our hatred and support our brutality, we miss all the opportunities in between.

No John, I can’t think of a justification for murdering babies.

Thank you. This is what I have been trying to elicit from you. This directly contradicts what you said previously:

“Terrorism is a perfectly logical and inevitable result of a resilient, clever, passionate and aspiring humanity constrained by a system that offers no hope.”

So you would agree that even if one is being constrained by a system that offers no hope, one would not be justified in killing innocents in order to obtain freedom.

   I do think that if someone is desperate enough they will murder innocent people,

Unjustly.

   particularly under the widest definition of innocent that you give (all women!).

Forget about women (don’t tell your women friends I said that;-) Stick with babies.

   And I am not sure that I need to say its justifiable. Perhaps it is enough to point out that its likely, its to be expected, that complaining about its inherent evilness is a counter-productive waste of time, and if you want it to stop, you need to address the circumstances that give rise to it.

I believe that any side which employs terrorism forsakes any moral high ground and therefore has no justifiable case to present.

   Show me the economic oppression being suffered by al-qaeda. Their leader is a multi-millionaire. What are their demands? What do they want? Why don’t we know these things?

I think that there’s actually quite a bit known about what they want.

They want me dead and America isolated and in ruins. There isn’t much more AFAIK. What else?

   But that’s actually less interesting than the fact that you’re thrilled to bits to go stomping off all over the world trying to kill these people, with less than no idea!

The fact that they want me and my country dead is plenty reason to go stomping all over the world trying to kill them, thankyouverymuch.

   “Wahabism” is a particularly violent anti-Western form of Islam. Why? Who knows; who cares. There is no rational or moral justification for it.

Of course there is. It might not be one with which you agree...

Please, enlighten me.

   What if I am correct? That Islamo-extremists want the West to fall in order to set up an Islamic Theocracy. There is no negotiating with that-- you either convert or die.

I imagine that there ARE Islamo-extremists want the West to fall in order to set up an Islamic Theocracy. In the same way that there are some in the American administration who would like to see the East fall in order to set up an American Bureaucracy.

Say what?

   But neither can succeed unless they can take their people along with them.

In case you hadn’t noticed, there is a war out there for the heart and soul of Islam, and Muslims don’t seem too keen on fighting against the extremists...

   There used to be a bunch of Communist extremists who wanted the West to fall so that they could set up a Communist Autocracy, but they failed to keep their people convinced. The key is to show that there is another way, a better way, and one that is open to all.

Sap their popular strength and their plan withers and dies.

The problem is that the rallying cry for Islamo-extremists is “Death to America, death to the Jews”

   Why are you so reticent to characterize such atrocities as “evil”?

Because calling it evil is simply entirely counter-productive. Calling it evil does nothing but push it further from our understanding it. Calling it evil says I don’t need to understand it, indeed, I should try NOT to understand it (lest it overpower me and make me evil too). Calling it evil means I should simply try to kill it.

And that path is doomed to failure.

So I won’t call it evil.

EVEN, if it IS evil.

As you might have deduced, I’m not a big believer in evil generally.

And that is the Achille’s Heal of the Left. The path to doom is trying to fathom the unfathomable. The greatest evil of all is to deny its existence, for only then will it flourish beneath the acquiescent eyes of tolerance and understanding.

   (snip)

   There is one difference, and it makes all the difference. The innocents who lost their lives in the liberation of Iraq were not targets. Their deaths were unintentional, and great lengths were taken to keep civilian casualties to a minimum. Contrast that with strapping on bomb belt filled with rusty nails dipped in rat poison and boarding a public bus or entering a restaurant and detonating it.

Sophistry. Both are doing what they think will best advance their cause, with the tools at their disposal, with a disregard for your ‘innocents’, or at the very least an openness to the deaths of ‘innocents’ which you find so heinous.

Well, I reject your moral equivelance.

   (snip)

   all I understand now is that if I don’t stop them, they won’t stop.

This I see. Beyond this is a recognition that you are failing to stop them.

We will continue to oppose them until they stop. There simply is nothing else to do.

   You may want to consider changing strategy to one that can succeed.

Like what? Trying to empathize with them, to understand them? Even if it were possible, what good would this do? They don’t want empathy or to be understood, just victorious.

JOHN