 Off-Topic / Debate / 23441
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:25:11 GMT

   I quoted the salient text of the SOTU below:

“A strong America must also value the institution of marriage. I believe we should respect individuals as we take a principled stand for one of the most fundamental, enduring institutions of our civilization. Congress has already taken a stand on this issue by passing the Defense of Marriage Act, signed in 1996 by President Clinton. That statute protects marriage under federal law as a union of a man and a woman, and declares that one state may not redefine marriage for other states.”

(where was the Left’s outrage when Clinton signed that law?)

If you’d known me back then, you’d have heard my outrage! That exact example is why certain Liberal pundits have identified Clinton as the greatest Republican President of the latter 20th century.

   “Activist judges, however, have begun redefining marriage by court order, without regard for the will of the people and their elected representatives. On an issue of such great consequence, the people’s voice must be heard. If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process. Our nation must defend the sanctity of marriage.”

Bush wouldn’t have even broached the topic were it not for the actions of certain judges.

I submit that the DOMA is unconstitutional as written, so it’s hardly “activist” for a judge to rule against it. The question remains: why did Dubya identify this as a state’s rights issue during his 2000 campaign, but now it’s a Federal issue?

   It should be a state issue in theory, but it can’t be a state issue in practice because of Article IV of the Constitution. Too many states won’t tolerate the recognition of any other union besides 1 man and 1 woman as they would be forced to do. The issue has been forced to a head by activist judiciaries and the only solution is an Amendment to the Constitution. What other recourse do you see for opponents of changing the definition of marriage?

Well, if such opponents wish to change the sectarian definition of marriage, then I support their efforts absolutely. However, if they seek to deny marital rights by altering the Constitution, then I oppose them absolutely.

Regardless, the question isn’t about what recourse I can suggest; the question is why did Dubya in 2000 think this was a states’ rights issue, but now he thinks it’s a Federal issue? I mean, the 14th Amendment wasn’t ratified in the interim...

   As far as nation-building goes, it seems you should give Bush the same deference you gave Kerry for his waffling. Honestly, how could we morally cut the (evil) head off of 2 countries’ governments and not be involved in the rebuilding process?

I think I was imprecise in my wording. If Dubya wishes to criticize Kerry for changing his viewpoint, then Dubya must justify his own changes in viewpoint, or else he is guilty of hypocrisy (again). Alternatively, Dubya could explain why Kerry was wrong to change his views in each and every case; thereby Dubya could demonstrate that such changes of view were capricious or poorly-founded, and that Kerry was therefore wrong to change his view.

So the issue isn’t whether or not Dubya is justified in rebuilding nations that the US bombed into desolation; the issue is why Dubya feels that he is justified in changing his view but no one else is equally justified.

Dave!