 Off-Topic / Debate / 23520
23519  |  23521
Subject:
Welcome aboard [was Re: Terrorists hate freedom]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:02:13 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   You know, I had kinda hoped that someone other than John might have spoken up in defence here.

(snippage)

   How does the Guantanamo Bay gulag fit in with this? This is denying others’ rights in a vain attempt to win improved security and thereby freedom.

Surely John is not accusing the American administration of being disgusting hypocrites.

First, I think we all can agree that no nation is perfect, including the US. That said, I am reticent about commenting on Guantanamo because I don’t believe that enough facts are about the interned are readily available.

…and who is making sure we stay in the dark?

The reality is that five Britons were released without charge from Guntanamo Bay this week... a fact that suggests Bush had no reason to hold them! Since their release, they have been giving their account of what they endured over their 26 months of captivity; they were subjected to:
  1. Beatings.
  2. Over 200 interrogations without ever being charged.
  3. Denial of access to healthcare.
  4. Religious intolerance.
  5. Sensory deprivation.
  6. Sleep deprivation.
  7. Verbal abuse.
  8. Being forcibly administered unknown drugs.
This is how one described the moment he left Bush’s grip:

‘They took us to the airport in chains,’ said Rasul, ‘and when we got there this huge plane was surrounded by armed men. As we walked towards the steps they had guns trained on us. This military police guy hands us over to the British, takes off our shackles and tells the Brit he can put on the handcuffs. But the British policemen say, “no, no, there’s no need for handcuffs”. We walk up the steps and they’re not even touching me.

‘For the first time in two years I’m walking somewhere without being frogmarched. We get to the door and someone says: “Good morning. Welcome aboard.” ’

What does this say about libral democracies? What would the founding fathers have made of “President” Bush?

Scott A