 Off-Topic / Debate / 23510
Re: Terrorists hate freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 04:49:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:

   I think Richard was talking about the “givens” that they have been held for up to 2 years without being charged, in the name of “security”. Something that the administration would frown upon in the name of freedom.

There are so many different legal issues-- definitions of POWs and of being “at war” and the Geneva Convention and whatnot. It’s lawyer stuff and I really try to avoid it. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t people out there who aren’t on up of it. Let’em.

   Oppression never justifies the murder of innocents.

Interesting theory. No sense in it at all in relation to adult ‘innocents’. The brutally and mercilessly oppressed could well be open to the entirely sensible argument that those who take benefit from the oppression are guilty nonetheless. This isn’t a supposition of mine - this is part of the indoctrination.

I have to flat-out reject that assertion. If you cannot agree that women, pregnant women, the eldery along with children are not innocents, then this might be a short discussion.

Women, pregnant women, the elderly, and even children can tie bombs around their waist and detonate them on buses. Though most children probably wouldn’t do it if they knew the consequences.

I meant as victims, not as perps. Although I would have a hard time condemning a brain-washed child homicide-bomber. I would be particularily repulsed by a pregnant homicide bomber or by a society in general that would send their children to such a disgusting task.

   This is key, because “terrorism” is defined as the targeting of innocents with the goal of breaking a society or group’s resolve-- to use its own humanity against itself in order to cooerce it into change. It is, in fact, impossible to “terrorize” a military, because violence perpetrated against an army is called “war”, not “terrorism”. This is why terrorism is so disgusting, because it is so cowardly. If you want to oppose a government, then rise up against the government!, not against its citizens! But the cowards might think, “We are not powerful enough to oppose the government, let us strike out at it by killing its citizens instead”. This is not “clever”, but immoral and despicable. Or, at its essence: 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

I agree totally. Obviously Truman didn’t.

Less innocent US lives were lost (as well as aggregate Japanese lives compared to a land invasion). Also, Truman targeted industrial cities, rather than Tokyo, a target where the optimal amount of civilian deaths would have occurred. I agree that it was a difficult decision, because Truman had the power to decide which innocents would die (not whether innocents would die)

   Liberation from Evil = Evil from Liberation.

I don’t get this, sorry.

If I am being evilly oppressed, and I use evil to liberate myself, I am mimicing my oppressor and therefore loosing any moral justification for freeing myself.

Does freedom require moral justification now?

I am talking about actions taken while attempting to gain it.

   I am a fan of democracy. A big fan. I don’t believe in forcing on people, and I don’t believe in simply giving it to people. Democracy has to be won.

This is a very interesting assertion. I’m not sure what to do with it. On the one hand, I believe that things obtained freely are valued less than things earned. But does this apply to freedoms which we believe are innate and the right of every person?

Does that include the freedoms that require moral justification?

You are missing my point. Everyone has the innate right to be free. What I am saying is that you do not have a moral right to take away my freedom to obtain yours.

   Are we all be truly “free” if there are others who are oppressed? Are we, as Democracies, and especially as Super-Power Democracies morally bound to help the oppressed people of the world? Are the free obligated to help the unfree? Are the wealthy obligated to assist the poor?

Nope, but it sure does give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I happen to believe they are moral obligations of the rich and free.

And what about you? Given the world situation in 1945, would you kill thousands of “innocent” civilians if you were pretty sure it would end a war?

It is a hard question, but it must be acknowledged that, either way, thousands of innocents were going to be killed. All that was unknown was which ones in particular. Given that rationale, choosing the path which spared the most innocent lives seems logical.

   Let’s be clear what we are talking about here. Are you saying that you would kill an innocent person to alleviate some “greater hurt”? I ask you: what can be worse than an innocent being killed? I know of nothing, except more of the same.

And yet here you say it can be rational to do so. In the thousands.

See above. I am consistent. I said the only thing worse than the death of an innocent is more of the same. If dropping the bombs saved innocent lives in the aggregate, then it was a rational decision.

   I need to know if you believe that if someone is desperate enough, they are justified in killing innocents.

Do you mean morally or rationally justified?

Well, both. Neither are justified in my mind.

Show me the economic oppression being suffered by al-qaeda. Their leader is a multi-millionaire.

But their leader doesn’t fly planes into buildings or blow himself up on buses.

What’s your point?

   What are their demands? What do they want? Why don’t we know these things?

Why weren’t we told the real objective of invading Iraq beforehand?

We were.

   Islam is not new. Its been around for considerably longer than western democracy, and even longer than the United States of America. Yet the faith has not been driving people to ruthlessly and violently lash out. For a time, it was the Muslim world that was the scientific and philosophical light of humanity. So why has it suddenly reared up now?

“Wahabism” is a particularily violent anti-Western form of Islam. Why? Who knows; who cares. There is no rational or moral justification for it.

And yet it will continue until we find out why.

What makes you think you can end it by merely finding out the cause? What if the reason is because they don’t like your freedom?

And yet heinous crimes occur against innocent people every day in your own country.

Perpetrated by whom? Relevance?

   we can’t simply kill or imprison them all, even though we seem keen to spend a great deal of money, and undermine a great many personal liberties in an attempt to do just this. We really need to find a way to understand.

That’s all. All we need to do is understand “evil”. Well, good luck, my friend. One doesn’t need to understand evil to combat it; only to identify it. And that is your problem and the problem with the Left in general-- you cannot acknowledge or identify evil.

OK. So show me all the evil in the world. Then show me how you would propose combatting it.

Find the oppressed. Liberate them.

   Continue on our current course, evading understanding, thinking that ‘terrorists hate freedom’ only adds fertiliser around the plant, and makes it grow stronger and larger.

Any insight into the reasons/issues/demands of al-qaeda you have would be most helpful. Understanding WRT movitations appears to be a luxury-- all I understand now is that if I don’t stop them, they won’t stop.

And do you seriously think the current course is going to stop them?

What is our choice? Give in to them? Negotiate with them? We will continue to oppose them kill them and hurt them until they see the folly of their actions, or they are all dead. Only then will it stop.

JOHN