 Off-Topic / Debate / 23516
Re: Terrorists hate freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:57:27 GMT

Just a drive by participant here in this particular thread, more's the pity as
it has been interesting and I wish I had more time....

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

Understand your enemy and you learn how to defeat him.

Terrorist violence cannot be defeated by stricter security (it can be reduced,
it might get worse)

Terrorist violence can be defeated (over the long term) by removing or
ameliorating the circumstances which create the support base

I agree with this but fear that in some cases (that of the radical fanatic who
is convinced that his god is telling him to kill nonbelievers) removing
circumstances means changing the religion itself, doesn't it? And in some cases
the driving force is just plain venality/insanity of the individual.

Fortunately most terrorism isn't driven by either of those, but what of those
cases? What should be done then?

It is critical that we increase security, try to understand, and try to
undermine the support structures.

Failure to do any one of these three things prevents success.

Agreed.