 Off-Topic / Debate / 23507
Re: Terrorists hate freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 01:47:59 GMT

   First, I think we all can agree that no nation is perfect, including the US. That said, I am reticent about commenting on Guantanamo because I don’t believe that enough facts are about the interned are readily available. I wouldn’t mind debating a similar hypothetical situation if all of the “givens” were agreed upon.

You have summed up the problem without realizing it, I think. If, for example, an administration wanted to quiet someone, all they have to do is throw them in the Gulag (I like Richard’s appraisal of what it is) and simply refuse to divulge why they are there! See the problem? If everyone refuses to criticize the move because “all the facts aren’t in”, then how can the problem ever be resolved. We need to take the opposite tack - because the government refuses to give us the details, we need to strongly criticize those in power. Otherwise we have a tyrrany.

(snip)

   Oppression never justifies the murder of innocents.

Interesting theory. No sense in it at all in relation to adult ‘innocents’. The brutally and mercilessly oppressed could well be open to the entirely sensible argument that those who take benefit from the oppression are guilty nonetheless. This isn’t a supposition of mine - this is part of the indoctrination.

I have to flat-out reject that assertion. If you cannot agree that women, pregnant women, the eldery along with children are not innocents, then this might be a short discussion. This is key, because “terrorism” is defined as the targeting of innocents with the goal of breaking a society or group’s resolve-- to use its own humanity against itself in order to cooerce it into change. It is, in fact, impossible to “terrorize” a military, because violence perpetrated against an army is called “war”, not “terrorism”. This is why terrorism is so disgusting, because it is so cowardly. If you want to oppose a government, then rise up against the government!, not against its citizens! But the cowards might think, “We are not powerful enough to oppose the government, let us strike out at it by killing its citizens instead”. This is not “clever”, but immoral and despicable. Or, at its essence: 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

In essense, the rest of the world didn’t care (much) when Osama blew up our destroyer, but got worried when he blew up an office building. I suppose one can argue up and down whether anyone is innocent in a war since their efforts aid the war (or class struggle, or idealogical battle, or... etc.) but effectively most societies (including any member of Islam that actually is paying attention to their own doctrine) find killing women and children offensive.

   Liberation from Evil = Evil from Liberation.

I don’t get this, sorry.

If I am being evilly oppressed, and I use evil to liberate myself, I am mimicing my oppressor and therefore loosing any moral justification for freeing myself.

And the irony is, if the U.S. then uses evil to liberate the oppressed, then it loses any justification for freeing others - that’s the part I think you are missing.

I am a fan of democracy. A big fan. I don’t believe in forcing on people, and I don’t believe in simply giving it to people. Democracy has to be won.

This is a very interesting assertion. I’m not sure what to do with it. One the one hand, I believe that things obtained freely are valued less than things earned. But does this apply to freedoms which we believe are innate and the right of every person? Are we all be truly “free” if there are others who are oppressed? Are we, as Democracies, and especially as Super-Power Democracies morally bound to help the oppressed people of the world? Are the free obligated to help the unfree? Are the wealthy obligated to assist the poor?

Democratic-Man’s Burden? I’ve already weighed in on this on the side of democracy has to be earned - otherwise the moment we walk out of Iraq, they will elect a hardline squad of religious zealots who will end democracy and be a bigger threat to us than Saddam ever was.

The taste of Freedom will forever linger-- it is like Pandora’s box; surely subjegation will be less tolerated after having tasted it.

It would seem so, but watch it go out the window if there is economic problems (see Germany post WWI).

   Are you talking about systematic injustices that we have created, or that simply exist? Because surely we are not the cause of every problem in the third world? (As some manipulatively claim, as in the case of the Jews being the cause of every problem of Palestinians)

And what is to prevent third world countries, who are even being given aid, to terrorize and blackmail richer nations for more? How far does poverty and hopelessness allow one to go? I believe that there are worse things than starving to death.

Nothing much comes to mind except stuff that involves even more pain and equal death.

   I disagree, and I use the Palestinians as an example. They have “struggled” for national identity for almost 60 years. Certainly if nationhood were their agenda, it would have transpired by now.

Well, here’s a typically ignorant American comment (not yours, the following, which is mine): are the Palestinians recognized as a nation by the U.N.?

   Listen, again I must vehemently disagree. We have not discussed “morality” yet, but now is a good time. I need to know if you believe that the deliberate killing of innocents justifies a greater good. From what you’ve said so far, I believe you do. This whole argument boils down to this, because this was the idea behind my initial assertion that “terrorists hate freedom”. “Freedom” is a concept that applies to everyone, not a chosen few. If I gain (my) freedom by taking away (killing) yours (an innocent), I have liberated 1 life and taken away (permanently) the freedom of 1 life. The net result is zero change in “Freedom” in the macro, and the death of a innocent besides. Sure, you have won your freedom, but at what cost? If you really loved Freedom, you’d sacrifice your own life, not the lives of innocents. That’s why the term “suicide bomber” is so disingenuous, because they denotate themselves around women and children with the intend of homicide. Blow yourself up in a town square with no chance of hurting others and I’ll believe you love your “cause”. But they don’t. Because the goal of terrorism is not freedom.

Religious fanatics hate freedom - but that applies to most religions. They want you to behave in accordance to their religious beliefs. But “terrorists” have fought against repressive governments for greater freedom: IRA, for example (I don’t want to debate that particular point, so I agree that anyone can disagree with that). And, I have to say, I don’t approve of IRA tactics at all.

   Let’s be clear what we are talking about here. Are you saying that you would kill an innocent person to alleviate some “greater hurt”? I ask you: what can be worse than an innocent being killed? I know of nothing, except more of the same.

Yup. And that’s how it gets justified - even more will (allegedly) suffer if the move is not made. But usually if they are that violent and ruthless, they will remain so once in power.

   Show me the economic oppression being suffered by al-qaeda. Their leader is a multi-millionaire. What are their demands? What do they want? Why don’t we know these things?

Because you haven’t been paying attention?

   Was it evil for the US to attack Nazi Germany?

Technically, they attacked us (they declared war in support of their ally, Japan).

   This is the simplistic path. What do you do if the agenda of the terrorists is to disintegrate your society into anarchy?

You can kill ‘em all (but you must ask yourself if that has that worked with cockroaches). You can remove their support by removing the problem that feeds their hate (ooooo, but this might involve rethinking our own position). Some combination of the two?

   Any insight into the reasons/issues/demands of al-qaeda you have would be most helpful. Understanding WRT movitations appears to be a luxury-- all I understand now is that if I don’t stop them, they won’t stop.

I don’t think you can ever truly stop a true wacko except by hunting them down and dealing with them, but it may well be a useless proposition if you keeping feeding the monster at the same time. There’s no point in loping off the head of the Hydra if two more take it’s place. You have to figure out how to stop the heads from growing back.

-->Bruce<--