 Off-Topic / Debate / 23468
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:01:31 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
   John wrote:

   Even in hindsight I believe that SH’s deposition was still a good thing because he was a menace and a friend of terrorists. I believe it is totally appropriate to threaten any and all leaders of any nation who aid and abett terrorists. (Please shock me and refrain from mentioning Israel...;-)

So you have no problem threatening our own leaders (watch it, with the Patriot Act, you might be locked up for life with no trial on this one...)?

Let me clarify: I believe it is totally appropriate to threaten any and all leaders of any nation who aid and abett terrorists who threaten our national security.

That is where you and I differ. I believe in “Freedom”. Not just for me: I believe in freedom for everyone.

Scott A

   Our leaders supported the Taliban, after all...

Against a greater threat, namely the USSR.

   Our leaders supported SH, after all...

Against a greater threat, namely Iran.

   (I’m too lazy to dig up more references, but we have supported others too).

How about Stalin? I see nothing inconsistent with supporting the lesser of 2 threats against the other. In all cases, when the greater threat is removed, the lesser threat is then opposed.

JOHN