 Off-Topic / Debate / 23511
Re: Terrorists hate freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 04:55:20 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   First, I think we all can agree that no nation is perfect, including the US. That said, I am reticent about commenting on Guantanamo because I don’t believe that enough facts are about the interned are readily available. I wouldn’t mind debating a similar hypothetical situation if all of the “givens” were agreed upon.

You have summed up the problem without realizing it, I think. If, for example, an administration wanted to quiet someone, all they have to do is throw them in the Gulag (I like Richard’s appraisal of what it is) and simply refuse to divulge why they are there! See the problem? If everyone refuses to criticize the move because “all the facts aren’t in”, then how can the problem ever be resolved. We need to take the opposite tack - because the government refuses to give us the details, we need to strongly criticize those in power. Otherwise we have a tyrrany.

First off, let’s not assume that those detained are “innocent”.

(rereading what I wrote) Nope, didn’t say that.

They all
   were captured fighting against our forces.

Allegedly. Maybe.

Maybe not. If they were, two years held without charges? Those in charge are incompetent or evil. Take your pick, we need to get rid of them either way.

When I said “all of the facts
   aren’t in”, I meant that I didn’t possess all of the facts in order to comment-- and neither does any other.

I could swear you are commenting right now. :-)

The fact is that we rarely know all
   of the facts WRT to governmental activities-- our only hope is that those in charge are electible persons who are accountable to the people.

I’ll give a reasonable doubt, but there must be a day of reckoning. No government agency can be given a perpetual blank check. Many gave Bush the benefit of the doubt about the “weapons of mass destruction”. He was given his room to manuever and implement policy as he saw fit, but now he has face the consequences of his decisions.

“Hope” (benefit of the doubt) is a short term thing that we sometimes must grant so as not to suffer paralysis of decision making, but ultimately, we must not “hope”. We must hold decision makers accountable.

   In essense, the rest of the world didn’t care (much) when Osama blew up our destroyer, but got worried when he blew up an office building.

Military target verses civilian.

   I suppose one can argue up and down whether anyone is innocent in a war since their efforts aid the war (or class struggle, or idealogical battle, or... etc.) but effectively most societies (including any member of Islam that actually is paying attention to their own doctrine) find killing women and children offensive.

Would that it were true: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2072851.stm

“...including any member of Islam that actually is paying attention to their own doctrine.” Emphasis added for those not paying attention to what I wrote. Or do you believe that is specifically not part of Islamic law that women and children are supposed to be spared? And just to put this in perspective, are you saying that Christians haven’t violated their own code by doing the exact same thing (killing the innocent)?

   And the irony is, if the U.S. then uses evil to liberate the oppressed, then it loses any justification for freeing others - that’s the part I think you are missing.

Again, liberation is not an evil act; that innocents are killed is not the intention; innocents are not the targets.

Evil is always done in war. Always. No matter how just cause, no matter how noble the intentions. All you can do is try and hold it to a minimum. You were making something of absolute statements, and what I’m trying to illustrate is that those kind of philosophical absolutes don’t really exist.

   I’ve already weighed in on this on the side of democracy has to be earned - otherwise the moment we walk out of Iraq, they will elect a hardline squad of religious zealots who will end democracy and be a bigger threat to us than Saddam ever was.

Why do you have so little faith in Freedom?

History validates my opinion. Napoleon and Hitler are two shining examples.

The taste of Freedom will forever linger-- it is like Pandora’s box; surely subjegation will be less tolerated after having tasted it.

It would seem so, but watch it go out the window if there is economic problems (see Germany post WWI).

That is why we will do it right as we did with Germany post WWII.

We will? There wasn’t one country urging us to get out as soon as possible in regards to Germany. We also had the recent lesson of WWI style revenge causing more problems than it solved.

In Iraq, we already have the spectre of shameless profiteering mucking up our already murky reasons for being there, which have proven to be wrong, which have put us in a precarious moral position. There is no world mandate to stay and “do the right thing”. Further, this was not a case of defeating the totality of a nation, it was removing a government. Now that the people are free to move forward, they have the moral right to democratically TOSS US OUT and we have NO moral imperative to gainsay such an action. There would be extremely counter-productive damage to stay after such a move.

It may be the intent to stay and do the right thing, but there is no guarentee that the Iraquis have the same ideas as to what the “right” thing is.

   Religious fanatics hate freedom

BINGO We have a winner! Islamo-terrorists hate freedom-- isn’t that what started this?

Not all Islamic terrorists are religious fanatics - and I was drawing a parallel with the hatred of freedom by Christian fanatics.

Part of the problem is ethnic nationalism, regional sectarianism, and perceived injustice by an outside party. Summing up the totality of the problem as “islamic fanatacism” is just as wrong as dismissing it as not part of the equation.

   but that applies to most religions.

Not mine-- its principles founded this nation.

I was specifically refering to this nation and specifically to Christianty, and primarily the “born-again” segment (who want you to say their prayer in school, pledge allegiance to God, swear on the Bible, corrupt science in the most medieval backwards way possible, and on and on). The principles that founded this nation do often thwart them, but that doesn’t mean the religious fanatics still don’t hate freedom.

And no, certainly not all.

   Show me the economic oppression being suffered by al-qaeda. Their leader is a multi-millionaire. What are their demands? What do they want? Why don’t we know these things?

Because you haven’t been paying attention?

Please enlighten!

I shall quote a wise man: I ain’t doing your web searches for ya! :-)

Osama has taped his diatribes, so this isn’t the vacumn of information you indicate.

   This is the simplistic path. What do you do if the agenda of the terrorists is to disintegrate your society into anarchy?

You can kill ‘em all (but you must ask yourself if that has that worked with cockroaches).

Still, doesn’t mean you don’t still try.

I agree. I supported chasing Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. Nothing lasting will happen unless we understand and address the root causes that brought things to such a pass, however. There needs to be a resolution to the Israel/Palestian conflict, and I’m of the opinion that we need to drag both sides kicking and screaming to a table, come up with some comprimise that both sides agree to live with, or wash our hands of both of them (i.e. let them kill each other by whatever means they chose, and absolutely cut them all off of any sort of aid, arms, or assistance of any kind).

   You can remove their support by removing the problem that feeds their hate (ooooo, but this might involve rethinking our own position).

Ah, but what if their problem is your freedom? That, I believe, brings us full circle!

They only care about (or possibly on act on) our intrusion into what they perceive of as their world, so I don’t see you making a case for this theory.

   Here’s how I’d suggest. Depose all religious leaders and foster Democracies.

Why did you state it that way? Shouldn’t that be depose all tyrants? What if a religious leader is elected democratically? What if the people under any particular tyrant don’t want us desposing their tyrant?

On the other hand, at least the Queen of England would have to be tossed under the religious leader clause! :-)

-->Bruce<--