 Off-Topic / Debate / 23465
Re: codifying marriage on biblical principles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:49:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Let me introduce you to my counter-argument: Winchester Model 1897 12 gauge Boomstick. You’ll only get my Lego when you pry it from my cold dead fingers (with a brick-separator). :-)

lol, But -->Bruce<-- I would have expected a little snickersnee from you! Nonetheless, Kewl-- does it still fire, and more importantly: do your Liberal buddies know you own a gun;-)

Works fine - actually, I had no idea what model it was until I just looked. I presumed it was some thing my grandfather got in the 60’s - which he may have, but by it’s serial number it is actually 100 years old (1904). Dang.

Snickersnee? Well...close! Actually it is a bolo knife (a snickersnee being some kind of vague “large knife”). At two and a half feet long, I’d call that large!

I’ve got a bolo tie...

   “One-two, one two, and through and through, the vorpal blade went snickersnack”

I read that too early in my life-- never got it.

ANNNNNNHHHHH! Wrong guess, Hans.

lol Just rented that to watch with my son a while back (catching him up on all of the classics:-)

   My party is the color of my eyes (on a non-smoggy day, ya smart-alec).

lol If you are going to lob a fat one over the plate, please do not deny me the pleasure of the clever rejoiner!

   Actually, I don’t see a lot of difference on the “spending” front between Democrats and Republicans (beyond they have different agendas for the money). Democrats want to tax, though, and Republicans want to borrow and pretend like it doesn’t work out to the same.

Well, I’m a one-issue guy now. Whoever is for abolishing the IRS and supporting the Fair tax, I’m theirs.

Defeat of the narrow-minded?

Honestly, I have nothing against gays. I am all for privacy laws, and having the government staying out of the proverbial bedroom. In fact, I don’t want to know about other peoples’ sexual preferences-- that stuff is private business. I am offended by overt displays of PDA, but that is regardless of the sexes of the participants. I believe that there are groups of gay activists who don’t help in the cause of winning acceptance, but I also believe the same about any group, including Christianity.

This marriage issue really has nothing to do with gays per se. It is about fiddling with the definition of marriage. If gay marriages were recognized in the same way as 1 man and 1 woman marriage is currently, I see no way to logically argue against brothers or sisters marrying each other, multiple men and/or multiple women unions, etc. If the dam cracks only slightly, soon there will no longer be a dam. And that would be a damn shame, because there is no finer model upon which to raise children than 1 father and 1 mother.

It all boils down to this: All things being equal, which is the better scenario-- children raised by a married couple consisting of 1 man and 1 woman, or by a married couple of the same sex? I honestly don’t see how choosing the former makes me a bigot or narrow-minded.

JOHN