 Off-Topic / Debate / *23931 (-100)
  Re: I'm Glad Bush is Standing by Rumsfeld

(...) [snip] (...) I think the part about the sinking ship may be just wishful thinking on the part of the democrats, but time will tell. Anyhow, what I'm wondering is what makes you feel this current administration is any more arrogant than the (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote: I hope Dave K. will forgive me for jumping in. Here are a few points worth noting: (...) Does that mean that we can bomb Iraq and slaughter civilians for all time, until we are satisfied that the 15% (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) I think you're misinterpreting my analogy... Man Bites Dog is an old cliche for the "unexpected news event"... you sort of (at this point) expect Mugabe to burn down white farmers houses and beat up the last remnants of the free press so it's (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Reading those blogs might interfere with a nice pat and already well thought out view of the world, you know. ++Lar (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) They're out there if you want them. I'm sure they've been discussed to death here before, but I don't have time right now to track that down. So once again it's google to the rescue. Here's a short list from one of the sites. Reasons for going (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) If you wish to keep on insulting the messenger, all the power to ya. I'm just trying to get a coherent idea of where you're coming from. Stated--the Iraqis have blogs now, they didn't have blogs before the occupation. What'd I miss? So I'm not (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) You really should check them out. But I admit it's difficult. There are so, so many of them. (...) Wow, you really have a twisty mind. Of course the war cannot be justified simply because they have the internet now. Where do you come up with (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) I'll have to peruse the blogs more thoroughly when I'm not at work (LUGNET at the office, can only give scant attention elsewhere through the day and keep my job...) But by what I'm reading, the (internet cafe) ends justify the (inept, (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Actually, that was one of my less lame attempts to change the subject--just ask anyone. Anyway, from my perspective, I see an Iraqi citizen whose nation was invaded, who is 90% likely to have been incarcerated for no good reason, and who was (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) A lame attempt to change the subject. But if you must go there, at least his head is still attached to his body. Perspective. (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Did you read any of those blogs? They talk constantly about the electricity situation. You can get even more answers with google. Try searching for "internet cafe iraq blog". Here's the top link. (URL) begins like this: " BAGHDAD — A year ago, (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Well, that guy wearing the hood and standing on the box with wires attached to his genitals probably had more than enough electricity. See? The Dubya/Cheney/Rumsfeld reconstruction agency is improving conditions all the time! Dave! (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) How many Iraqis have access to the web? Heck, how many Iraqi's have 24-hour electricity? Scott A (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) What about: Man feeds dog Man starves dog Man wants dog's bone Man beats dog Dog bites man (...) That is correct; we are setting the standard. Remember (URL) this>: "Mr Rumsfeld said the Geneva convention "indicates that it's not permitted to (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Why wonder? Read up. if you're going to speak out for them, then you owe them the courtesy of reading their own words first. (5 URLs) sure to check out the rest of links on the right to see what others there have to say. And heck, while you're (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) I wonder at what point does armageddon happen? (...) Good question. Though, for myself, I don't appreciate being dictated to, therefore I shall not dictate to others vis a vis spiritual beliefs, so my god maybe, well, God, but yours doesn't (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) It's equally easy to lose sight of how bad some of the good guys can be when we mostly hear about how good the good guys "are." (...) I think that's the essence of it. We didn't just go in there to stop a bad guy from doing bad things--we (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) I wonder if all the other unnecessary civilian deaths in Iraq make ordinary Iraqis feel equally angry? I wonder if the light sentences purportedly being dished out to those involved in the physical abuse, sexual abuse, rape and murder within (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Nice. (...) Ahh, back to the 'US needs to be in Iraq to curtail terrorism towards the US' card. Please tell me the following, in case my 'thinking processes' as you alluded to, weren't 'on' at the time--How many Iraqis hijacked planes on 9/11 (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys wrote: [another big snip] (...) That's true, but not for the reasons you think. (Do you think? you write a great deal, but I get the impression you don't stop to think about it first.) 1. With Saddam in (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Dogs don't know any better. They didn't 10,000+ years ago, and they won't know any better 10,000+ years from now. Men, on the othe hand, are suppose to have this capacity for change, for conscious reasoning, for saying "Just because I can do (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) Maybe Dave just realised it (again?)... it's easy to lose sight of how bad the bad guys are when what you mostly hear about is how bad the good guys are. Where was the outrage in the media at all the previous atrocities by the various thuggish (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

(...) [big snip] Doesn't seem that way. :) (...) I don't understand what's different? That's what it's always been about. (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Arrogance floats amongst the stars...

I'm almost at a loss for words. At a time when the world's (including many Americans, btw) opinion was against Bush and Co. for their mismanagement of the Iraqi situation, those stupid <insert expletive here> go do what they did. I don't swear much, (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I'm Glad Bush is Standing by Rumsfeld

(...) Let's just wait and see where the voting public lash their canoes... Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 12-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  I'm Glad Bush is Standing by Rumsfeld

It's a really good thing that Bush is standing by Rummy through the Iraqi prisoner abuse scandal. This means that George is caught in a classic Monkey Trap. In the jungle, they capture monkeys by cutting a hole in a coconut shell, chaining it to a (...) (20 years ago, 11-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) Mmmmm. I saw Geoffrey Robertson interviewed on (URL) Lateline> and while it wasn't the focus of the interview, he got to the nub of what concerns me about this. "...because what we're seeing here is not just the kind of abuse that happens in (...) (20 years ago, 11-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Color Change - color names

"Kelly McKiernan" <kelly@anagrafyxx.com> wrote in message news:Hx9zyp.13J@lugnet.com... (...) Isn't it even worse when certain Nazis take a few newsgroup posts a little too seriously? ;) It's not like someone's really going to connect LEGO with (...) (20 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) Oops. Is (URL) this> any better? (...) Read (URL) this>. (...) lol. So he only wanted to involve the international community on his terms? (...) BTW: I thought we'd already established that Bush is not interested in eliminating dictatorships (...) (20 years ago, 7-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) That's not really a good comparison, though. FOX is a 24-hour news/propaganda outlet, while ABC and NBC are entertainment channels with occasional news coverage (and pretty crappy coverage, at that). CBS is also an entertainment channel and (...) (20 years ago, 7-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) So Fox a free network channel has better ratings than CNN a 'pay for' cable channel. What does that have to do with ABC, NBC, and CBS (all free network channels) all having better ratings than Fox? (...) If you actually belive that, it (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Yet another non-apology apology from the Right

(URL) Here's> Dubya, spreading diplomacy and understanding around the world with his politics of personal responsiblity. And here's the important bit: "I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners and the humiliation suffered by (...) (20 years ago, 6-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Color Change - color names

(...) It was intended in a sarcastic vein, which I appear to have failed to adequately express. I fully understand the logic behind calling it "Nazi grey" (I actually prefer "gun-metal grey"), on the basis that it's reported to be very close to the (...) (20 years ago, 6-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Color Change - color names

(...) FYI, you might find this post of interest: (URL) Though I get the impression that "Wehrmachtsgrau" doesn't necessarily imply "Nazi" but military or army gray, instead. At least Babel Fish says it means "Armed forces-grey". Mark (20 years ago, 6-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Disney's public conscience

Who the heck is voting yes?! I went along to one of his book readings last summer. I was very impressed by him. After an hour of ranting and raving, he took questions from the floor (some from real cranks) for a further hour. He looks twice as big (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) (URL) This> kills both your points. (...) The last time I looked the UN disarmed Iraq... then Bush invaded. (...) Why ask and then ignore the answer? (...) Who hand-picked the IGC? Who decides who gets power at the end of June? Who rigged the (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) I wonder what Diem's thoughts on the matter would be? Pedro (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  crime rates in NY and London

Ran across this article trolling for info about the Google IPO, if you can believe it. I can't comment on the accuracy(1) but I did find it interesting. (URL) particular I found this quote QUITE interesting: " As Eli Lehrer, a crime expert at the (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) And yours aren't as well? (...) Fox is hardly the country's main news source. The much more liberal leaning ABC, NBC, and CBS are the big three. (...) Re-read the previous sentance as it answers your question. (...) The UN has never in its (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) He has to say the "s" word if he wants to play here again. Other offenders do not have to(1); but he does due to the way his "outburst" was used as axe grinding material (IRC). I hope I'm not betraying a confidence when I say I know he lurks (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) Yep, and I don't want foot soldiers to carry the can for (URL) institutional failures> either: In a letter home earlier this year, Staff Sergeant Chip Frederick, one of the soldiers charged, said he had questioned some of the things that he (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) It is my opinion that Richard knows what he has to do to get the ban on posting access rescinded. It's my view he's chosen not to do those things. (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys wrote: <snip> (...) I've been meaning to ask, is Richard's ban permanent? I don't have any clue... -Evil Wayne (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Disney's public conscience

(URL) from the company that greenlighted "Haunted Mansion" and "The Jungle Book 2." (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote: <snip> (...) I don't know but the charm, for me, has faded in o-t.d. I get all excited about something and I banter with Bruce, or Dave! But it's more effort now than it was before. It's like I have to (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) Perhaps I'm unclear on your conception of The Big Picture. Here's mine, and I'd be interested to see how it fits alongside yours: The United States is widely perceived to be a hegemonic and militaristic juggernaut bent on securing its own (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) What makes you think I'd want that? I'm lucky enough to live in a country which has a good range of independent national media which reports on domestic and international issues without feeling the need to wave my flag in my face. I know the (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) I can't retract it. It's just a question and an opinion. I'm just saying you *seem* much more unhappy now than you used to be. Do a search on in .debate on Scott Arthur. Then click on "prefer older" and compare the results. It would seem to me (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) This is offensive. I demand you either substantiate or retract that statement! I joined AI in 1987 and opposed SH when Washington/London still supported him. I opposed Apartheid when Washington/London supported it.I’ve even castigated (...) (20 years ago, 5-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) here. People still swim in the ocean even though it's inhabited by sharks. However the media will always cover the shark bite stories because it's easy to sell pictures of shark bite violence. But they'll never tell you anything about the (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) Unfortunately, it's far too easy to justify countless small atrocities by invoking The Big Picture. Here's the well-known and prevailing wisdom on the matter (quoted here, but famous in general): (URL) more and more ugly details keep surfacing (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) I tend to agree with you there, however I suspect your heart and mind are set in their ways, regardless of how this particular event works out. Fortunately, according to the blog, some people (whom this actually concerns) are able to see the (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Being realistic

(...) (URL) Things are worse> than I understood: the CIA's former counter-terrorism chief Cofer Black has been quoted as saying about interrogation techniques that "after 9/11, the gloves came off". It is now being reported that there have been (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) If it's "handled correctly" a lot of people will end up in the slammer: (URL) Against the law of war> "the laws of war require that all countries take the necessary steps to ensure that they are respected. All military personnel should receive (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) Inquirer (...) media" (...) relations. (...) over 80 (...) liberal (...) Your comment sounds more than a little subjective. (...) Rupert (...) So we agree that your country’s main TV news source is not liberal? (...) a fact. (...) is right (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds

(...) (URL) particular incident may in fact do just that: Win some hearts and minds if it's handled correctly. (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) Its relevant because most printed editorials in my local papers are liberal propaganda. (...) Yup, that is a good source of conservative propaganda. (...) See overall the media is dead center. That is why liberals think it is right wing biased (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: subtleties of diplomatic language (was Re: Sheikh Yassin)

(...) Well, let's be pragmatic about this. If Dubya complains about Sharon's choice to defy worldwide consensus and employ unilateral military intervention, then Dubya can hardly maintain his Straussian "invade them all and let Rumsfeld sort them (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  subtleties of diplomatic language (was Re: Sheikh Yassin)

(...) (URL) 50 retired US diplomats> think Bush and Sharon are part of the problem; On Bush: "Your unabashed support of Sharon's extra-judicial assassinations, Israel's Berlin-Wall-like barrier, its harsh military measures in occupied territories (...) (20 years ago, 4-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: April 2004 Advice

Steve, if we all invested in gold, rather than the stock market, the stock market would fail. In fact, capitalism would fail! Good luck! Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 3-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  April 2004 Advice

About three years ago I advised my family and friends to get out of the stock market (especially mutual funds) and into Gold (and Silver) - mining stocks if they wanted to be more aggressive. In a couple of months the S&P had recovered from about (...) (20 years ago, 3-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) Yep, maybe the War on Terrorism will be the (URL) to End All Wars> ROSCO (20 years ago, 2-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) I'm not sure how relevant that is (if true). I'd imagine it's the view of the editor and owner that hold sway. Remember, every-single-one of Rupert Murdoch's 50+ papers supported the war... he also owns Fox News. The right leaning nature of (...) (20 years ago, 1-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) The "security contractor" (mercenary) is (URL) here> too. (URL) An other> of his mates got the same e-mail. In fact, if you search the web, you'll see he mailed the letter to quite a lot of "friends”... like this (URL) one>. Please read this (...) (20 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) You do know that it is a matter of public record that slightly over 80 percent of American journalists are registered Democrats right? (...) You also know that John Kerry in early 2002 (and Bill Clinton when he was president) are both on (...) (20 years ago, 1-May-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) Not the "liberal media" again! Was it them who hid the WMD from George? Did they invent the story about (URL) this picture>? Or even this (URL) story>? Scott A (20 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)

(...) Odd. When I tested the link in the post preview page it worked. Now I can't even get to it using the article search on www.philly.com. Must be after a few days it goes to only registered users. Quite annoying. Given that the newspaper has (...) (20 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  A footnote (was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism)

(...) I've known about this since the day it happened, but (URL) here's> a good summation of Bush's pious, vulgarity-free public life. While we're at it, (URL) here's> some video of our born-again, teetotaling Prez back in August of 1992. (...) (20 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Wining Hearts & Minds?>

(...) That should be Wining and Dining Hearts & Minds... Iraq did once export wine. Scott A (20 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Wining Hearts & Minds?>

(URL) Hearts & Minds?> I found this (URL) quote> from Brigadier General Janis Karpinski regarding the lack of information about the ~10,000 “detainees” she was in charge of in Iraq: “We're not trying to withhold information from you. Some (...) (20 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: wise counsel?

(...) Hey, give credit where it's due! At his last press conference, Dubya didn't answer a single question. To go from zero to "every question" is quite a shift. It's just a pity he's not under oath. Of course, Scott McClellan harumphed that Bush (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Operation Take One...

(...) I think it's just dandy. It's not prostitution 'cause there's no money exchanged And as long as it's consensual, who are we to meddle in what's going behind other consenting adults' closed doors? And if the 'Organization' is doing this for the (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  wise counsel?

(URL): "I was never advised by my counsel to not answer anything. I answered every question they asked" That's kind of a given; not something to brag about. Was it his counsel who suggested he should not answer questions under oath, or that the (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.

(...) Yeah, it's weird. I got in somehow without signing up. I think I pasted the link into the URL bar and fixed it up to end with .html. Then it served up the article and also must've redirected me to the odd looking mangled link. Now I get the (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.

(...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Operation Take One...

(...) That's probably because you're not serving with the armed forces... but the service is *widely* available elsewhere :-P Pedro (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.

(...) (URL) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.

You want to give the gist of it? I refuse to sign up at every danged news site across the world just to pick up one story here or there. (...) -- Tom Stangl *(URL) Visual FAQ home *(URL) Visual FAQ Home (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Restitution and strange bedfellows?

(URL) is of interest not because Dubya's administration would ever admit that the US had erred (unless, of course, it could blame Clinton) but because it's a good reminder that the US was once pretty cozy with the very maniacal dictator we later (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Operation Take One...

(...) I can get to the website fine and read the content just fine. I just clicked the link again to make sure. I can't comment on service availability though... Perhaps it's not available to you because you're not in the Armed Forces ?? More (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.

Quite interesting. (URL) Petrucelli (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Operation Take One...

(...) I'm getting a "Service Unavailable" message. 8^( Dave! (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Operation Take One...

I ran across this (thank you, Mr. Madsen!) in my travels around the .net... (URL) have no idea if it's for real or not. I can't decide if I *want* it to be real or not... I'm not even sure what kneejerk reaction I ought to be emitting, if any, (...) (20 years ago, 29-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This Week's "Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard"

(...) I liked this just 'cause it uses the term "laser cannon": He acknowledged delays in the Airborne Laser, a program that aims to mount a laser cannon on a Boeing 747, which would shoot down missiles as they were launched. So far, engineers have (...) (20 years ago, 28-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  This Week's "Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard"

Despite record deficits, a shaky economy, and increasing worldwide animosity toward the United States' military hegemony, Dubya has gone ahead to fund one of the (URL) biggest, most ill-conceived, and most unnecessary pork projects> in decades. I (...) (20 years ago, 27-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Warballs

Bush & Co have used 911(tm) to justify all sorts of things... even preventing (URL): "After September 11 the American people are valuing life more. The fundamental difference between us and the terrorist network we fight is that we value life." I'd (...) (20 years ago, 27-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  transferring power to Iraqis

Powell: "I hope they will understand that in order for this government to get up and running - to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given back...It's sovereignty but some of that sovereignty they are going to allow us to (...) (20 years ago, 27-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys wrote: Please read this whole post (or at least the bottom part) before replying. I may be onto something... (...) Well, let's identify another distinction that seems to be causing us some trouble. You're (...) (20 years ago, 26-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) I concur--a concept of infinity existing on a two dimensional surface of a sphere is a valid one. But the operative word here is *concept*. In reality, in the physical universe, the surface isn't infinite for it is subject to the finite issues (...) (20 years ago, 26-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) I think you're blurring the distinction between "impractical in practice" and "impossible in reality." Whether or not we can devise an mechanism that will exist for eternity is irrelevant. The fact that we can create an unbounded (...) (20 years ago, 26-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Falluja

Wondering why Bush wants Aljazeera to leave Falluja? Read (URL) this>: The main hospital apparently has been destroyed by bombing and the second largest is covered by US snipers - the Iraqis call it sniper alley. So Iraqi people are not able to get (...) (20 years ago, 26-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Does the "writ of Wesayso" trump the writ of Habeas Corpus?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek wrote: (snip) Here is the WSJ editorial I referred to, now republished on the Cato site (URL) (20 years ago, 26-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The use of the death penalty against child offenders.

(...) (URL) Key quote>: The use of the death penalty against child offenders – people under 18 at the time of the crime – is clearly prohibited under international law, yet a handful of countries persist with child executions. Since January 1990 (...) (20 years ago, 24-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: 18 children among dozens dead in Iraq car bombings

(...) Well, what is democracy anyway? Even if USA had been located in Europe, it wouldn't even qualify to join the EU. Death penalty isn't worthy a democracy according to our standards. Don't know if it's an urban legend, but I've heard that in some (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) I'd rephrase again--the path is theoretically infinite, for if you set up this exact scenario using real life lasers, ball-bearings nad spinning tools, within a set amount of time something will break down--or the path of the laser, over time, (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) I think I'm guilty of an imprecision here. I meant that the path of the laser is effectively infinite, not that it would traverse an endlessly new part of the sphere's surface. Also, as long as we're talking about two dimensions instead of (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) Yes, and I can sit in my swivel chair and spin from now until "the end of time", never stopping the spin (excluding such contingencies as death and parts on chair wearing out) but, again, that only works 'on paper'. IN real world applications, (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) I dunno, baseballs seem to have no problem moving in differential calculus using dv's and dt's... but of course that is continuum mechanics. Some Lugnet physics guru is going to have to speak up about quantum mechanics with the Planck scales (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) Like I said, Zeno's Paradox. But 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32... equals 1. Additionally, your formulation demands that space be infinitely divisible, which it is not. (...) "Apt" is yet to be determined, but I admit that it's clever! (...) (...) (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism

(...) Christian historians, too: How many saxons on the head of a pin? -->Bruce<-- (20 years ago, 23-Apr-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact