 Off-Topic / Debate / 23911
Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:59:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
I'm almost at a loss for words.

[big snip] Doesn't seem that way.  :)

Now it's a totally differnt ball-game.  We see the 'enemy' for what
he really is--a spiteful, vengeful group of people who have *no*
consideration for people who aren't them.  Iraq isn't the issue.
Iraqi people probably just want to go about their daily business and
be left alone and let 'the powers that be' go do something else.  But
these extreme religious zealots who can hack off a person's
head and hold it up for the world to see... that's an entirely
different matter.

I don't understand what's different?  That's what it's always been
about.

Maybe Dave just realised it (again?)... it's easy to lose sight of how bad the
bad guys are when what you mostly hear about is how bad the good guys are.

Where was the outrage in the media at all the previous atrocities by the various
thuggish regimes, gangs, and fanatics in the region?

Answer: it's not newsworthy, the same way Dog bites Man isn't newsworthy. But
Man bites Dog??? THAT'S newsworthy.

And to a certain extent that's as it should be. The good guys should be held to
a higher standard. I'd just like to see the bad guys held to SOME standard by
those complaining about the good guys... else those complaining have no
standing.

Dogs don't know any better.  They didn't 10,000+ years ago, and they won't know
any better 10,000+ years from now.

Men, on the othe hand, are suppose to have this capacity for change, for
conscious reasoning, for saying "Just because I can do something, doesn't
necessitate that I *have* to do something."

And the second that we start thinking that there are those that are 'less than
we', is the point where we can commit these atrocities and think that we're
doing a 'good thing'.

Idiots all.

America in Iraq is wrong.  The lunatics in power are beyond contempt with their
warmongering and ineptness.  That said, the lunatics that beheaded a US civilian
and sent that video to the world hold an equal contempt.  "We are right!  We
have been wronged by our enemies and now are retaliating against them!"  9/11
was the given reason for invading Iraq, The invasion of Iraq is the root reason
why this civilian was brutally murdered.

I'm sure that over the next few months, the recently awaked dragon that is the
US will retaliate over that execution.

And then we get the Hatfields and McCoys all over again.

Dave K