 Off-Topic / Debate / 23930
Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 21:37:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:

I hope Dave K. will forgive me for jumping in.  Here are a few points worth
noting:

Reasons for going into Iraq.

As stated by both President Bush and P.M. Blair, there were several
reasons we decided to remove Sadam Hussein:

1. Failure to live up to the terms of his 1991 surrender, including
accounting for and destroying ALL knows WMD. (15% of his then stockpile
REMAIN unaccounted for.)

Does that mean that we can bomb Iraq and slaughter civilians for all time, until
we are satisfied that the 15% *have* been accounted for?  At what point does the
cure become worse than the disease?  And how much of the 15% was given to Saddam
by his good friends in the US?
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

2. Defiance of UN resolutions over a 12 year period, as well as shooting
at coalition planes patrolling the UN mandated "no fly" zone.

The defiance of UN resolutions should be properly dealt with by the UN, not a
single rogue state with aspirations of empire.

Also: http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/flyindex.htm
They were not UN-mandated "no fly" zones.

3. Human rights violations in Iraq, including but not limited to torture,
organized policy of rape and aggressive suppression of dissent.

The US has forfeited any moral authority to act against Iraq in general or
Saddam in particular because of allegations of rape or torture.  Yes, those
crimes are still crimes, but the US is equally guilty of them and should be
equally sanctioned.

4. Cooperation with terrorists, including terrorist training camp at
Salman Pak (including a commercial airliner body for hijacking practice),
giving refuge to terrorists, including but not limited to Abu Nidal,
suspected ties to Al Qaeda (since documented).

Most of what I've read about Salman Pak comes from reports by two Iraqi
defectors, whose stories are suspect and have not been verified.
from http://www.occupationwatch.org/article.php?id=3633

Many articles quoted defectors as saying that Saddam was training extremists
from throughout the Muslim world at Salman Pak, outside Baghdad.

"We certainly have found nothing to substantiate that," said a senior U.S.
official. Instead, he said, U.S. intelligence analysts believe that Iraqi
counterterrorism units practiced anti-hijacking techniques on an aircraft
fuselage at the site.

The site also discusses the faulty claims of alliance between Hussein and Al
Qaeda, and is dated March 14 2004.  Do you have information more current?

5. Threat of nuclear development. It's noteworthy to point out that
British Intelligence has STILL NOT RETRACTED its contention that Sadam
was trying to purchase enriched uranium from AFRICA. There was no mention
of NIGER in their report, nor in President Bush's State of the Union
Address, by the way.

Are you saying that, because Bush The Liar did not retract a statement, it must
be true?

David Kay found no evidence of development of an active nuclear program.
Additionally, British and US intelligence simply have no credibility on this
subject.  If British Intelligence has evidence that Hussein sought to acquire
uranium from Africa, they *must* subject that information to public scrutiny.
Otherwise it's hearsay from a hopelessly untrustworthy source.

Dave!