 Off-Topic / Debate / 23918
Re: Arrogance floats amongst the stars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 19:15:42 GMT

   it’s easy to lose sight of how bad the bad guys are when what you mostly hear about is how bad the good guys are.

It’s equally easy to lose sight of how bad some of the good guys can be when we mostly hear about how good the good guys “are.”

   Where was the outrage in the media at all the previous atrocities by the various thuggish regimes, gangs, and fanatics in the region?

Answer: it’s not newsworthy, the same way Dog bites Man isn’t newsworthy. But Man bites Dog??? THAT’S newsworthy.

What about:
  1. Man feeds dog
  2. Man starves dog
  3. Man wants dog’s bone
  4. Man beats dog
  5. Dog bites man

And to a certain extent that’s as it should be. The good guys should be held to a higher standard.

I think that’s the essence of it. We didn’t just go in there to stop a bad guy from doing bad things--we Swept Righteously Down From The Heavens In A Crusade Against The Evildoer™, as if our own feces weren’t foetid.

   I’d just like to see the bad guys held to SOME standard by those complaining about the good guys... else those complaining have no standing.

In much the same way, alas, that the United States has no moral authority to complain about brutal acts committed against its forces when US forces have committed similarly brutal acts against its enemies.

That is correct; we are setting the standard. Remember this: “Mr Rumsfeld said the Geneva convention “indicates that it’s not permitted to photograph and embarrass or humiliate prisoners of war”.

Scott A

Dave!