 Off-Topic / Debate / 23891
Re: Wining Hearts & Minds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 08:32:26 GMT

   I’m not sure that Scott is calling for restricted press. I have little doubt that he’d prefer to have all these crimes subjected to the light of public scrutiny.

Yep, and I don’t want foot soldiers to carry the can for institutional failures either: In a letter home earlier this year, Staff Sergeant Chip Frederick, one of the soldiers charged, said he had questioned some of the things that he saw taking place, and was told, “This is how military intelligence wants it done.” Frederick’s lawyer is preparing to defend his client at court martial by saying that he is being scapegoated for a greater failure of leadership. “The intelligence community forced them into this position,” Gary Myers told the New York Times. This argument of superior orders would almost certainly not prevent Frederick being held legally responsible for his actions, but it does suggest that others might share his guilt.

Scott A