 Off-Topic / Debate / 23875
Re: The Essay (was Re: The status of Iraq from a soldier who is there.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 15:14:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Meoli sent the following essay and photos via e-mail to friends and relatives back home, and he gave The Inquirer permission to print them because of his belief that the “liberal media” are misreporting the progress of the war and U.S.-Iraqi relations.

Not the “liberal media” again!

You do know that it is a matter of public record that slightly over 80 percent of American journalists are registered Democrats right?

I’m not sure how relevant that is (if true).

Its relevant because most printed editorials in my local papers are liberal propaganda.

   I’d imagine it’s the view of the editor and owner that hold sway. Remember, every-single-one of Rupert Murdoch’s 50+ papers supported the war... he also owns Fox News.

Yup, that is a good source of conservative propaganda.

   The right leaning nature of the media (TV, newspapers & radio) in the USA is a fact.
  1. How many left-wing radio stations are there?
  2. How many right-wing radio stations are there?
  3. Is Rush Limbaugh a registered Democrat?

See overall the media is dead center. That is why liberals think it is right wing biased and why conservatives think it is leftwing biased.

   Was it them who hid the WMD from George?

You also know that John Kerry in early 2002 (and Bill Clinton when he was president) are both on record as stating that sooner or later America would have to deal with Saddam and his WoMD. Either way I have said it before I will say it again, that should not have been the reason for going there in the first place.

   Did they invent the story about this picture? Or even this story?

People die in war.

Are you condoning these actions?

No. See, what do Iraqis fighting the US, US soldiers who abuse Iraqi prisoners, and Catholic Priests who abuse children all have in common? They are all statistically insignificant minorities who cause great harm to a few individuals and undermine the progress/postions of the respective groups to which they belong.

   The real question is whether their deaths are in vain,

Wrong. The real question is: where are the WMD?!

As the US lost track of an Atomic Warhead for a few decades and only found it by accident while digging a new foundation in a military base (a story posted by Dave! a while back, I am sure you could search for it easy enough) I have no doubt that it could be a century or two before enough of Iraq is dug up to know for certain. The point being is that the intellegence, while it may very well have been false, was not intentionally fabricated to support the war as some liberal propaganda would have us belive. After all, as I already stated, even Clinton when president, was on record as saying sooner or later the US would have to deal with Saddam and his WoMD.

   as the media would have us belive, or if our grandchildrens children will actually have a chance at growing up in true peace for the first time in human history because of their sacrifices.

Show me how this “war” has reduced the risk to you or your “grandchildrens children”. The people making the real sacrifice are the Iraqis.

Yeah, they actually have a chance at freedom for the first time since Saddam overthrew the Democracy from an elected position 30 some odd years ago.

   Of course there are still a lot of countries whose leaders treat their people as cattle rather than humans. I can’t figure out why people think true peace will ever exist with a dictorship.

Is Saudi Arabia a dictatorship? Egypt? Bush supports them both!

   (Of all the crap, as with any politician, coming out of Dubbya’s mouth at least he understands that.)

So why is he funding the Uzbekistan security service (who boil people alive)? Why does he support Saudi Arabia & Israel? What was he doing in Venezuela and Haiti?

Search google for “Venezuela bush coup”…

Very good you have pointed out what will really cause us to inevitably lose the war on terror. Peace with a dictatorship is a farce, and in my opinion condeming the people of those countries to a fate worse than if we simply wiped those countries off the map. Of course I realize that you think I am a “looney” for beliveing that a slave’s exsistence is worse than death and that nuking a country is better than allowing its people to suffer a dictator’s rule.

-Mike Petrucelli

P.S. Trivia question: How many Veitnamese civilians were slaughtered by the Viet-Cong within the 2 weeks after US troops withdrew from the country at the end of the Vietnam War?