 Off-Topic / Debate / *14631 (-100)
  Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament

(...) Okay, this is a troll, but I'll bite, since Larry's my chum... Spite? Hardly. Larry, the picture is taken out of context. Presented by itself, yes, it depicts a spiteful god. However, so would a picture depicting only the scene of a parent (...) (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) So it's only being honest when the other person hasn't lied to you? What if you don't *know* that they've lied to you? Or that you don't know that they *haven't* lied to you? Nah, I completely disagree. If someone's been dishonest to you and (...) (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  One of my issues with the god of the old testament

is illustrated here: (URL) What sort of god thwarts his people out of spite? Not my sort. Brick Testament is absolutely gorgeous work and I think the Rev is to be commended for some very very well done models and pages. Bravo! But I can tell you (...) (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) Can one draw a parallel to the way Easter is celebrated among catholic cultures? Not in the religious sense, but in the overall outcome. (holidays!) (...) Yeah? (Like I didn't know *this*... :-) Cool, I love turkey! One of these days I'll go (...) (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) No, I would argue that it is *not* dishonest to lie to someone or something that has first lied to me. Which is why I put "honest" in quotes because the definition of honesty that would require me to sacrifice myself at the whim of a (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) But you would probably argue that you are *moral*, while dishonest, or at least "not immoral", I'm guessing? Or at least that you would argue that one could *be* dishonest (by marking "gift") and yet still be moral, even though maybe you're (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) You were asking him, but I'll answer with my opinion anyway... No, it is not immoral to lie, in general. Was it immoral for the UK to place large inflatable tanks in empty fields to mislead the Germans about where the invasion was being (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) Is that how you define "honesty"? Or is that how you define "moral"? Is honesty necessarily moral? If you ask me, if you're honest with respect to putting the little "gift" mark on a package, then you *DON'T* mark it as a gift no matter *WHAT* (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) No, I don't think all lies are equal. But shouldn't we try to avoid lying when and where we can? As I already said in a reply to Richard, the end result is that you, for yourself, have to decide what works for you in your life. What "Little (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) No, I guess you shouldn't care what laws of another country you break. (...) Yes. I am willing to accept that. We do pick and choose which ones are important to us, as individuals. (...) I think your wrong on that point. I know I don't contort (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) Actually, no. Since we are essentially immune to this silly customs tax (certainly, I have never been thusly taxed as a person in the U.S.) if we white lie by marking items as "gifts" or "cadeaux" we do so for the benefit of others. I have (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) So who gets to decide what is morally incorrect? You? Me? Isn't breaking the law, breaking the law? (Hmm, about to kill my entire arguement here, but I guess I break the law regularly by speeding.) (...) But is this a victimless crime? If you (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Customs question...

(...) Is it a sin to break a law that is morally incorrect? Is it a sin to abide by a law that is morally incorrect? Stealing is way different than evading customs impositions that hinder free trade or than evading laws against victimless crimes, (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) In our family there has always been a break. We usually didn't start the Christmas preparations until a week or two before. Commercially there certainly is no break (the holiday season for retail these days seems to be all year, but certainly (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) I always thought of it as the closest Thursday to the 25th. Both methods yield the same date, which can range from the 22nd to the 28th. Canada also celebrates a Thanksgiving, but theirs is on a different date. It's basically a harvest (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) An Kuwaiti- American friend of mine always tells me that a holiday atmosphere exists in many homes (and work places) in the USA from the week before Thanksgiving to the week after Xmas. How true is that? Scott A (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) Is that anything like an eye-bitin' monkey????? ROSCO (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) Well, I can give you the date: The fourth Thursday in November. That's how it works. But as for the holiday itself, it's very steeped in lore--a lot of it contradictory--but in short it's time to "give thanks" for good fortune. The context of (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Uh...sorry. It seems that we're in essentially complete agreement. I must have misunderstood your points...or they changed...or something. Chris (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) I'm *happy* for airlines (and building managers, whoever) to pay for extra security *if they choose to*. I'm *happy* to pay an extra fee to increase my safety when I fly. I should, however, be able to choose. (...) for (...) planning (...) OK. (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Not sure here, but are you implying that the existance of the WTC buildings was less to blame for Sep 11 than the existance of the aeroplanes? (...) for (...) If you come to us & say "This polution can only affect you 8 people, and I want you (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) Uh, I am unsure about this, but an expert has said on national television that this is *supposed* to happen in some cases. He did not specify, however. Probably this plane was unable to maneouver due to the low speed and altitude, much like (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) reported (...) Indeed, these days the engine fuse pin is designed to release the engine when any unexpected substantial forces are applied to the engine, rather than transfer the forces to the wing, which may result in wing failure. Even a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) Not much more to report now--except to note that the engine- falling-off-the-airliner thing has at least a half dozen precedents, and the most famous one I can think of involved the plane continuing on safely (!!). Another link: (URL) However, (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) As Mark said, it was an American Airlines Airbus A300. Current reports say the plane came apart before crashing, and there may have been an explosion. It seems this was a mechanical failure, and NOT a terrorist act, but there is no direct (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Airbus (Was Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC)

(...) It's an American Airlines Airbus A300. Supposedly an engine or engines crashed in a separate area. That's about all the news is reporting at the moment. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes: <he's OK> Yaay. But our hearts surely go out to those who are not. The major news sites are doing better at handling load than during 911 but just in case people can't get to them, here's a short (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

Hi folks, I think you know more about this than I do. I'm in Manhattan. My home is in Kew Gardens, a short distance from JFK airport. -Erik (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

(...) I have been to Eriks house & it is not to close to where the plane went down. I don't have his number with me. I will drop him an email. I live in Queens as well & know the area. Jonathan (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people)

  Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:GMoz9A.MHE@lugnet.com... (...) from (...) day. (...) Ick. I tried getting ahold of Erik Olson by his home number and his cell and no answer on either one - but it also looks like its (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.people)

  Bad News! Plane down in NYC

Hi all, It looks like a 767 just went down in Queens New York about five miles from JFK. No one knows anything yet, but I bet this'll be our big news for the day. Hopefully it's a random fluke rather than just the first. Chris (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) I think that a security company would typically charge a fee for their services. And their services could include defense against missile attack. So it's just a matter of people feeling properly motivated. Some people are willing to work in (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Maybe I'm still not following you here, but I would tend to say yes, the things that are a RESULT of the building's existance ought to be borne by the building users (...) This doesn't follow. Just because some fair thing is hard to do is not (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Site

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GMJvx9.1G0@lugnet.com... (...) Uh-huh. It's when people start taking anything seriously it starts to get old, really quickly. Whenever this happens, I highly recommend sticking on some (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Site

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GMJw8t.29z@lugnet.com... (...) need (...) College.... (...) Yes, that was a true hassling. I hope you consider yourselves hassled, or else more hasslement will ensue. I am over it. (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  More scary stuff

(URL) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) to (...) When I lose mine, I generally find them a couple of months later, all mashed up down the back of the couch 8?) (...) And buildings exist for the convenience of companies to house their workers. They're not necessary, but they're (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) Those who don't get their news from entertainment channels know better. You said this not all that long ago: "My beef with them [sanctions] is that they're not impoverishing the *right things* (...) *enough*, and that they give foamers like (...) (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) That is not the point. The point is that the community is not 100% with the way you contribute. Nobody doubts your intend, only the manner. Read Eric's words again: "Please understand that while you may have sufficient logic and a decent head (...) (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

Best to ignore them, or else they see the smallest portion of attention and then break into epics of bad teenage angst poetry. Santosh (...) (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Can you be more specific? If passengers didn't want to travel by air there would be no problem, would there? There'd be no airlines! Why shouldn't airlines shoulder the whole cost? (note that in a free market there is no difference between (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) Under duress? Not great. Voluntarily? Really bad. (insofar as a system of morals can have feelings... :-) ) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Why shouldn't we? Why should someone who rarely or never flies pay so that folks like Larry can fly once a week or more (not sure how often Larry flies, but he's a good example of a very frequent flyer here)? If aircraft are truly that (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Sorry if this is a repost. I lost my cookies somewhere. Anywho... I don't think we got to closure on this (or much of anything else, lately) so don't be sorry. I am not sure I follow this argument. You are going to have to elaborate. I will (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation

(...) Just as our government would not allow the demise of Ansett airlines - especially just before a federal election! Be interesting to see what our PM does now he's been re-elected... (URL) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: All important (was: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation)

(...) Sorry for bringing it up again, but this is exactly why I think it's unfair to lumber plane passengers with the entire cost of "global security". ROSCO (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) to (...) Sure, that'd be pretty impossible, I think. However some rather large evils have been left un-righted, due to political pressure. I just think the assertion that the US is "good" doesn't hold water. They're good when it suits them. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) How does your system of morals feel about your actually assisting evil because to not do so would be painful? Chris (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation

(...) As someone that doesn't think rail has gotten a fair shake at the feeding trough (rail owns its own right of way, which it pays tax on, trucks pay pretty small fuel taxes (5000 a year per truck does not buy you a lot of highway) and nothing (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Oh, sorry, I think I took it the wrong way. :-/ but I wanted to point out that (...) oh ok, again, my bad, sorry bout' that! And I'd like to mention, especially to those that think that I'd be (...) Keep trying! It takes a while,(took me a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Good one! Mladen now officially has a Free Pass from me, per Eric's request. He can do anything or say anything he likes about me or anyone else and I will do my level best to just ignore it. His own words are refutation enough, really, at (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) The US has a history of letting things slide until greatly (and sometimes, repeatedly) provoked. You can argue that's not "morally right" (and I'd tend to agree), but it nevertheless is reality. Further, I am not in any way shape or form going (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

Quote the Sticker: "Ask a Teenager - They know everything" Santosh (whos happy at not being a know-it-all teenie bopper) (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) thousand (...) Probably. I just didn't really see the relevance of it to the topic at hand, given most people, including moral relativists would probably take that view. (...) Yep, I definitely agree here. But back to the topic... Q: If the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

As I don't feel like checking out all of Mladen's past posts within the past year, I'll take you're word for Mladen's posts. Like I said(or meant to say), I'm not trying to attack Mladen or you, but I wanted to point out that Mladen has a history of (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Mladen, Firstly, this isn't "us" against "them". I couldn't care less about the Larry vs. Scott crapola, nor do I have any positive feelings for the little cabal you're trying to assemble. This is about some INDIVIDUAL whose actions are again (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation

Associated Press Top Story November 9, 2001 Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation (URL) November 9 6:12 PM ET Amtrak Told to Plan Liquidation By LAURENCE ARNOLD, Associated Press Writer WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal panel ordered Amtrak to come up with a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Sorry, i'm a comedian by nature. Could YOU be so kind and check (...) Sure, ....yep same person. Indeed, but what do you not understand about a years diference between posts?!?!?! Mladen is NOT like that anymore, it is pointless to try and (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

If I can be so kind? Don't make me laugh. Could YOU be so kind and check the names on the posts....yep same person. Mladen does some really nice work but can be hot tempered and irration at times. I'm not saying all the time, but on occasion. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) If you'll be so kind as to check the dates of those posts, compared to the ones I posted? more than a years diference, nuf said, -Geordan- snip (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

snip (...) Never. (...) (URL) Larry, he hasn't, he has said the oposite, and I KNOW that I missed a few. -Geordan- snip (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

Wow... A lot of B.S. As usual... (...) When have I insulted the contributions of others on a regular basis? Go to .space, or .build, and you'll see how much I am in awe of some of the builders. (...) Wow, am I supposed to be impressed by the amount (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) I was unaware you were packed in my suitcase and on the road with me, or living with me in my house when I am home. Failing that you really have *no idea* what I spend my free time on, really. *All* my free time here? *Hardly*. And I hardly (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) I believe that's exactly the point he's trying to make. I posted this even though I do not 100% agree with everything it says and this is one of the areas where I'm a bit spongier. I am not too keen on wiretapping for the sake of "seeing what (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) Heck, I can answer that one... What if there were no terrorist threat? Should we expel and disallow Nazism and KKK-ism in the US? How about Communists? What about anti-abortionists? What about Fox, they're often anti-government. At what point (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

(...) From the article: "Yes, we knew all that, and so are now told that our intelligence agencies are inept, naïve, and worse, for not spotting the hijackers in advance. But we also surely suspect that, had any government watchdog agency swept down (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Why? Do you even know what we are talking about here, Sproat? I throw your own advice right back at you! If you want to defend Larry, go ahead, but don't tell me to "shut the hell up". If anyone should "shut the hell up", it should be Larry. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Site

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: Lindsay you troublemaker--get out of .debate and go answer my .military question! (...) Ah--I was confused, because I wouldn't have thought that an adult could have been kept against his (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New Site

(...) It depends, I think, on what he means by "Catholic" versus "Christian" in that context, Dave! (See? A conforming Dave! And another one! I'm good at using Dave! See? Did it again!) It could mean one of two things: -He hated Catholic school, so (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More on Moral Relativism

Rest assured I'll defend moral relativism. :) (...) Honestly, I think it's because most people don't understand (or "really believe in") but still subscribe to moral relativism. Do I think bin Ladin is evil? No. Do I think he should be stopped? Yes. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

Lar, why the cheap shot on Mladen? You know he's 16 and your an adult. Please understand that while you may have sufficient logic and a decent head on your shoulders, what I remember most is the unkind remarks and the constant opinionation. You may (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  More on Moral Relativism

(...) More Hanson: (URL) article continues showing why moral relativism (and a host of other things like aristocratic guilt reflexes and general politeness) lead to quagmire thinking. I especially considered the bit about how "UN" sanctions morphed (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Think about what you are saying. Are you suggesting that Mladen needs to stop inflicting his opinion on just about every decent sized thread in just about every group. He would have to start doing that before he could stop. Conversely, (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Mladen, Sounds like someone needs to sit back, shut the hell up, and take a long, hard look at their own advice. Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) I think it is. I'm sure I'm not alone. (...) What makes you think I admire Mladen on this. Do you think I agree with him when he insinuated you were: "slow", a "jerk" & "dumb"? You, I and Mladen all agree on one thing: you are arrogant. Your (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) By some. Maybe. But I'm not talking about THIS forum. Factor off-topic.debate out, it's not relevant to what happens elsewhere. I'm mostly interested in the perspective of people other than you and Mladen... you're welcome to your mutual (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) Sigh... it was a joke. Who ever said Germans don't have a sense of humour? Probably the same guy that said all Scotsmen are tight. :) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Now now Mladen I am no saint. ;) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Larry, This is rich coming form you. You are recognised as being one of the biggest mudslingers on this forum. Shame on you. I also noticed that you have not apologised to Mladen yet for claiming he was “slagging” Amy(?): (URL) on you twice. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) Because they don't want to lie at them? :wq Horst (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Larry, I know you're kinda "slow" and all, so I'll just repeat myself: Why did you feel feel the need to back up Amy's original post to Eric's cross-posting? Why? Do you just wake up everyday and feel a compulsive urge to be a jerk? This is (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Indeed. And maybe someone can explain exactly what it is about how it's done that seems to be the issue? Be specific, please, as I'd stack my words up against anyone's for gentleness in the incident that set off Mladen's mudslinging. Because (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) Many of us 'play policeman' from time to time, Larry. It's how it's done that's important, not how often. -Dave (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

(...) ?? Hardly. I just figured you might have missed that someone was "playing policeman" and might want to get in on the lynch party. Wouldn't want you to miss out. (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Wanted

Look everyone! Larry is trying to insult me, and poorly might I add. Why Larry? 'Cause I made you look bad last week? Hmmm... Behaviour like this is to be expected from you. Okay, now back to building for me, and back to a life of sadness for you. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Nov-01, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) Frank, The LP's mail problems and 911 are linked… at least indirectly. As far as I know, 911 is not linked to any natural disaster. Further, I doubt the LP's demise would be a "disaster" when compared to "hurricanes and typoons and whatnot"… (...) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) If we are to use that logic, there haven't been very many disasters in the past few years. All those hurricanes and typoons and whatnot? How many have caused thousands of deaths and billions of dollars in damage? (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) I've just had an update from LP HQ. They are now only waiting on donations from a further 34,163 LP members. If those 34,163 members dig deep perhaps a "disaster"{1} can be avoided. Why don’t they just tell their creditors “the cheque is in (...) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Perhaps Lugnet can grow into something better? was: I miss the old Lugnet

(...) All right..... I'll give you that one. :) I wasn't really thinking the analogy through completely. Regards, Allan (I'm not a LEGOaholic, I just play one on the internet) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Perhaps Lugnet can grow into something better? was: I miss the old Lugnet

(XPOST & FUT off-topic.debate) (...) This is a tangent, and I'm not commenting on your analogy. But... 'The bottle of beer in his hand' is *not* the alcoholic's real problem. It's *a* problem, and it certainly needs to be dealt with. But throwing (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) That thought did cross my mind... (...) I do not agree. If the LP were to fold it would be regrettable - nothing else. In the context on Sept 11 this is not a disaster. (...) If you loosing your job leads to that sequence of events, I think (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Hey, I'm sick of him too. :) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Are you really saying you think he is? Or just that you think he thinks he is? (...) :-o (...) I agree with Larry that this is an "important discussion". What I can't understand is why it is in this group? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Legos role in Anti-terrorism

It was not my intention to start a debate. Sorry. The point I was hoping to make was, in light of my current situation, I'm still building on my Lego collection and they help me get through the days. Day by day... (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  Re: Abdul Haq (was Re: 6 degrees of separation.)

(...) Because you have read the story before? (...) Ah. An insult. (...) So what's the big deal if I fill in a few gaps? (...) I have no idea what your view is on this. (...) Does the truth hurt you so much? What is the big deal? (...) What is your (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abdul Haq (was Re: 6 degrees of separation.)

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GMBzGB.AG3@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) of (...) It (...) 1984 (...) not (...) lead (...) And why am I not surprised at this post? Oh, because Scott's a troll. Go ahead and make your jabs, but I (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: mine mine mine (was Re: I miss the old LUGNET...)

(...) No problem: (URL)were in support of the notion while somewhat less (quite a bit (...) But you both have expressed the "mine mine mine" view... in my view. No big deal. Scott A (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: mine mine mine (was Re: I miss the old LUGNET...)

(...) Yes. IIRC, the posts of mine that Scott cited (without giving the URL, for some reason) were in support of the notion while somewhat less (quite a bit less) supportive of the manner in which that notion was voiced by some. (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact