 Off-Topic / Debate / 14621
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:42:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Spears writes:
Quite possibly the US government

Actually, no.  Since we are essentially immune to this silly customs tax
(certainly, I have never been thusly taxed as a person in the U.S.) if we
white lie by marking items as "gifts" or "cadeaux" we do so for the benefit
of others.  I have sent things to other countries marked as gift. Depending
on the country, and here I make reference to many countries in South
America, you'd be lucky to have the recipient receive the items at all. And
you think I care if I break some customs law of another country?  I don't.
Back when geographic jurisdiction meant anything, I'd still be innocent
because another country lacks jurisdiction over my person.  And I would tend
to think the same would hold true for persons elsewhere, although I suppose
there may be exportation taxes in some countries (not MY problem in any case).

My sin-o-meter is not regulated by laws, BTW. Frankly, I don't even believe
in sin.  And perhaps it might interest you to know that I rarely speed.  We
all just pick and choose our *crimes*, don't we?  I am willing to accept
that.  Are you?

Jason, you may be "honesty impaired" -- the condition of engaging in
unseemly contortions just to be able to claim you were doing the "right
thing." The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

-- Hop-Frog (you don't understand the power of the darkside...)