 Off-Topic / Debate / 14809
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 04:01:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

the client's welfare may indeed outweigh your "honesty" to
the state in which they reside. That's for you to decide.

I guess, ultimately it's your decision, however if you go against the client's
wishes (either lying without their consent *or* not lying after they ask you
to), it may well be deterimental to any future dealing

Yep. If you value your future dealing above your "honesty" towards their
government, as well as valuing their happiness above your "honesty", so be it.

so realistically, it's
probably the client's decision.

Nope. It's only the client's decision if they have that much sway over you.
If you really value them that much more than your "honesty", you'll lie and
call it a "gift". If not, you won't. Still your choice. But you'd have a
much easier time *making* that choice if they said "I don't care." Then the
decision would be much more clear cut for you (though not entirely if you
still were against the government laying claim to the money and actively
wanted to stop it-- again, another factor for your choice).

DaveE