 Off-Topic / Debate / 14798
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:16:51 GMT

I don't agree. In your situation you are knowingly and deliberately lying,
breaking the  law and trying to make some clumsy political point whilst
doing so. I am disagreeing with the interpretation of the word “merchandise".

Lets make this crystal clear... suppose you and I both lived in the US and
we had the same level of yearly sales (say 5 things a year, well below what
you and I do in actuality) and we had identical lots to buyers in the same
country (say OZ). Say the lot was valued at 20 USD. Say both buyers are
paying using the same payment mechanism. Say both buyers asked that the
customs form be marked gift because they feel customs duties are an unfair
restraint of trade. All these suppositions are to make this as apples to
apples as possible.

Their views/wants are irrelevant in this. It is *you* who are filling in the
form. It is *you* who are deliberately committing fraud.

Scott A

What you're saying is that because you've rationalised this lot as "not
merchandise" for your moral convenience you're more fundamentally honest
than I am because I know it IS merchandise but agree that the buyer is
correct about the government not having a legitimate right to the money that
the duty represents.

Is that what you are saying? Yes or no, and we'll proceed from there.