 Off-Topic / Debate / 14760
14759  |  14761
Subject:
EconMinutae 101 (was: Customs question...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:48:27 GMT

Merchandise is more for describing buying from a
commercial organisation.

Well, I disagree totally. I'd consider merchandise to be something that
you've paid for (goods, not really so much services-- although construable
as such).

I'm am talking about the intent of the form. If I as an individual am
selling you goods as an individual I do not view that as "merchandise" when
I fill in the form. If I as an entrepreneur were selling goods to you and
others for profit then I’d be more likely to view it as "merchandise". I
think the scale should be taken into account.

If my seven year old son trades his PBJ at the lunch table in school for the
next kid's swiss on rye, was it merchandise?  If not, is it because of your
profit clause above, or because it wasn't a cash transaction?  He thought
it was a profitable transaction.  And Wwat if I'm trading LEGO for LEGO?

Chris