 Marketplace / Theory / 2202
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:07:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Eric Brouwer writes:
I know, or at least beleive I have heard, that small Lego packages between
individuals being sent internationally can be marked as "Gift" for customs
forms, and they are not taxed.  Or at least not taxed as highly.  Is this
true?  If one were to have a business that shipped Lego internationally, say
from a distribution center in the US to a distribution center in Australia,
how would you fill out the customs form?  I would assume marking it gift
would violate some laws.  What are some of the things to thing about customs
wise in an international Lego reselling business?

Eric
Of course I can only speak from my personal experience. I am in the US and
have both sent and received international packages.  If I am sending a
package for which I have received parts in trade, I mark it as gift. If I am
selling it for money I mark it as merchandise and enter the appropriate value.

As a receiver I have gotten packages marked as both merchandise and as gift
and have never had to pay any taxes to get my package (including some really
big boxes from DYA in France).

Ben Gatrelle