 Off-Topic / Debate / 14739
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:49:25 GMT

Jason, you may be "honesty impaired" -- the condition of engaging in
unseemly contortions just to be able to claim you were doing the "right
thing."

Is that how you define "honesty"? Or is that how you define "moral"? Is
honesty necessarily moral? If you ask me, if you're honest with respect to
putting the little "gift" mark on a package, then you *DON'T* mark it as a
gift no matter *WHAT* you think of the moral implications of the law that
you're breaking. If you're "honest", you tell the truth. And the truth is
that it's not a gift.

But the act of marking it as a gift might be a gift.  So what then?

Well, considering that the "gift" denotes the contents of the package (or so
I would assume the "law" dictates), then no, not really...

But if I sell you an old 3055 (say) for $3 & postage is "Merchandise" more
appropriate than "gift"? Merchandise is more for describing buying from a
commercial organisation. If anyone is selling several thousand dollars worth
pa then perhaps they should be viewed as an commercial entity, but that is
another issue...

Scott A

DaveE