 Off-Topic / Debate / 14738
Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:34:00 GMT

Now am I expressng morals or ethics (as you defined them) when they aren't
supported either by a supernatural entity or by social norms and expectations?

You are probably expressing neither morals nor ethics, but rather your own
will. Knowing these things are "right" for you, doesn't make them "right"
for everyone else. Moral and ethical acts are expressed in relation to
agreed upon standards acknowledged by a social group (eating animal flesh is
okay because many people agree to it).

Bagging a "perp" and revenge killing him is likely to be seen as your own
personal foible, although some might feel sympathetic to your emotional
state during the act. Understanding, or empathizing with, such an act
doesn't in any way make it an ethical act to the greater social group --
maybe not even to someone who thinks they understand the behavior.

-- Hop-Frog