 Off-Topic / Debate / 14737
Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:26:35 GMT

I think of it as this stuff written on my heart.

For the record, I also think of this as a deeply romanticized notion of what
I'm experiencing...not some literal description.

That said, we can get directly to the subject of knowledge of right and
wrong not easily accounted for...

I would suggest that the feelings you are describing in terms of the innate,
are actually deeply rooted in culture and have little or nothing to do with
something akin to instinct.  I refer, of course, to a culturally rooted
sense of what is "fair."  I would take it one step further (because there is
a lot of talk about "paying it forward" and such) and suggest that what is
fair is firmly connected to our culturally shared ideas concerning
"reciprocity."

I certainly agree with this and your further characterization of our social
nature and how that leads to an understanding of fairness and the power of
reciprocity.  But...

While it's no big deal that you think as you do, I would suggest it is a
learned behavior and not something that comes from some unknown source.
Stuff like the Golden Rule gets drilled into you by one kind of repetition
or another. It is axiomatic not because it has a higher authority as its
source, but simply because there's little point in arguing over the matter.

...the stuff that I'm talking about isn't all axiomatic.  There are things that
I know are 'evil' that most people take for granted as not only OK, but the
right order for the universe.  Examples include: the opression of minors, the
consumption of sentients, and casual and ritual mutilation of infants (which
is sort of a subset of the first thing, but I meant that in a different way).
It isn't only that I've thought about these things and have perfect,
unconquorable arguments supporting my stances.  It's that at some point, I had
an epiphany (or maybe a revelation?) about these ideas that I knew (how?) to be
correct and then I started thinking about them to see if I could convince
myself otherwise.  And I've actively sought people to try to convince me
otherwise as well.  But they can't...even when I want them to.

And there are other activites that are opposite.  If my loved one were raped
and I/we believed that it would be a powerful tool for healing, I would have
absolutely zero problem with tracking the perp, bagging them, and bringing them
home for the victim to put to death.  I'm not actually convinced that such a
process would be at all healing, but the perp's rights (something that is often
dear to me) just don't matter.  And I know that while 99% of you disagree, I'm
in the "right."

So while the Golden Rule is a great example of cultural drill, I certainly
don't have others around me reinforcing my stance toward animals or kids.

Now am I expressng morals or ethics (as you defined them) when they aren't
supported either by a supernatural entity or by social norms and expectations?

Chris