 Off-Topic / Debate / 14752
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:11:07 GMT

Well, considering that the "gift" denotes the contents of the package (or so
I would assume the "law" dictates), then no, not really...

But if I sell you an old 3055 (say) for $3 & postage is "Merchandise" more
appropriate than "gift"?

Not unless you define merchandise as necessarily above a certain cost or
from a certain source. I'd say merchandise in this case is when you've paid
for the contents of the package. If you only paid shipping, then, sure, mark
it as a gift.

Merchandise is more for describing buying from a
commercial organisation.

Well, I disagree totally. I'd consider merchandise to be something that
you've paid for (goods, not really so much services-- although construable
as such).

I'm am talking about the intent of the form. If I as an individual am
selling you goods as an individual I do not view that as "merchandise" when
I fill in the form. If I as an entrepreneur were selling goods to you and
others for profit then I’d be more likely to view it as "merchandise". I
think the scale should be taken into account.

Bottom line is that *you* don't get to define merchandise, the people who
wrote the form (and made the law) do.  Doesn't matter what you think.

thanks,

James