 Off-Topic / Debate / 14623
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Jason Spears writes:

If you or I decide to do it anyway, it doesn't make it not a lie.

Okay.  So what?  Is lying of this type supposed to rate high on the
sin-o-meter? I barely care, nor do many others I suspect.

So your saying it's ok to sin a little bit?  What if I steal only a little
bit?  Would that be ok?  I don't think it is.  Where do you draw the line?

Warning for those involved:  the above is one of the classic examples of
The False Dilemma falacy, which states among other things, "if no clear line
of distinction exists between A and Z, then A is the same as Z." Unless, of
course, you think that all lies are equal (which I would be happy to discuss).

No, I don't think all lies are equal. But shouldn't we try to avoid lying when
and where we can?  As I already said in a reply to Richard, the end result is
that you, for yourself, have to decide what works for you in your life.  What
"Little sins" you are going to commit and which ones you aren't.  For me, in my
life, lying on a customs form isn't worth it.  Telling my fiancee I like her
haircut, even if I don't, is worth the "white lie".  To each their own.
Frankly I am starting to wonder why I bothered replying to Richard's post at
all, but I think it comes down to this part of his comment:

I am tired of trying to make the world a better place -- it ain't gonna
happen. I just want to do what those with money do -- they cheat, steal, lie,
distort the truth, and withhold critical information.  I learn my lessons
well. I am no saint.  I want to be a prince. I will do as princes do.

I just feel that this is a sad outlook on life, and not the place, I for one,
want to be.

Maybe what you do won't change the whole world, but you might affect one or
two people and peronally, I'm willing to take that little extra effort.

And this represents the destruction of the falacy, stating in effect,
"even if I can't accomplish everything, I will attempt to accomplish
something."  How (to show the falacy in action) do you determine what's
worth accomplishing if you can't accomplish everything?

Everything is worth trying, you just might not suceed at everything you try.
Look at recycling, a number of people take the effort to recycle their plastic
and paper goods.  But an even larger group of people don't bother.  Those
people who do, are helping the environment a little. They are trying.  And even
if they don't save the planet they will feel better for at least trying.

To use your reasoning above, if you can't make the world better for everyone,
then there's no point in trying to make it better for anyone.

Um, ok, I guess I don't really see how that's where my reasoning was going.

    Dave!
(no fan of the false dilemma)

FUT OT.Debate

-Jason