 Marketplace / Theory / 2204
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:58:57 GMT

Of course I can only speak from my personal experience. I am in the US and
have both sent and received international packages.  If I am sending a
package for which I have received parts in trade, I mark it as gift. If I am
selling it for money I mark it as merchandise and enter the appropriate value.

My understanding is that it's also appropriate in certain cases to mark neither
gift nor merchandise (nor commercial sample, of course).  I think a trade falls
under this category, and for those of us who don't consider ourselves to be
businesses, it may also be the case for sold Lego as well (I'm really not sure
on this one).

In at least Germany, the threshold for charging duty is different for gifts and
merchandise.  A gift isn't dutiable until it reaches an amount of at least
DM100, whereas merchandise with value of DM50 is dutiable.  I believe the duty
is the same percent in both cases, though.

Alan