 Off-Topic / Debate / 14740
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:38:51 GMT

Well, considering that the "gift" denotes the contents of the package (or so
I would assume the "law" dictates), then no, not really...

But if I sell you an old 3055 (say) for $3 & postage is "Merchandise" more
appropriate than "gift"?

Not unless you define merchandise as necessarily above a certain cost or
from a certain source. I'd say merchandise in this case is when you've paid
for the contents of the package. If you only paid shipping, then, sure, mark
it as a gift.

Merchandise is more for describing buying from a
commercial organisation.

Well, I disagree totally. I'd consider merchandise to be something that
you've paid for (goods, not really so much services-- although construable
as such). Otherwise, define "commercial organisation". Is a Brickbay store a
commercial organisation?

If anyone is selling several thousand dollars worth
pa then perhaps they should be viewed as an commercial entity, but that is
another issue...

Nah, I disagree. If you sold something, technically it shouldn't be marked
"gift". If you feel ok disregarding the law, though, go for it. I won't hold
it against you. I'm sure even if they knew, they wouldn't come after you
unless it was worth their while-- and a several dollar charge just isn't
worth it. It'd also be tough to prove (without your admission) that it
*wasn't* a gift, too.

DaveE