 Marketplace / Theory / 2206
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:21:38 GMT

richard marchetti wrote in message ...
I think a lot of people are honesty impaired.

I can think of few instances where the amount of stuff I have ordered • abroad
is of anyone's business or interest.  A lot of the trading that goes on
here, brickbay, and so on, is essentially inconsequential.  I figure if it
gets someone out of having to pay a duty, writing "gift" on the package
cannot be a big deal.  I seem to recall a lady in San Diego complaining

This message baffles me. When I read the first line I assumed Richard was
going to say that one should not write gift on the customs form when it
ain't. However, he's saying the opposite.

Without making judgements on whether or not to mark stuff as a gift, surely
strict honesty requires you to write on the customs form what is actually in
the package. If someone paid you for it, it's not a gift. If they paid $100
for it, writing $20 on the package is a lie. If you or I decide to do it
anyway, it doesn't make it not a lie.

Kevin
1st Annual SYSTEM Creativity Contest: http://www.creativity-contest.net/
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com