 Off-Topic / Debate / 14769
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:10:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Bottom line is that *you* don't get to define merchandise, the people who
wrote the form (and made the law) do.  Doesn't matter what you think.

<snip description of legal mumbo-jumbo>

Doesn't matter what I think?  If the duty payment that is at stake is that
of another country, as it is for all of us in the states, then I don't even
care to think about it overmuch.  Some other country's laws is surely
someone else's problem.  If I can help a lego pal out by labelling the
package "gift" -- I mean, really, who cares?  Why are some of you so
vehemently opposed to such a teeny, tiny white lie?  Get over yourselves...

Personally I don't give a wet noodle how you mark your customs forms, unless
you happen to be sending them to me, in which case I'd prefer honesty in the
declaration.

I'm not vehemently opposed to this; like you I barely care about it.  I
suspect most people here have about the same level of caring about it.
However, we *love* to argue over points of principle, and that's what this is.

:)

James