 Off-Topic / Debate / 14748
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:22:41 GMT

I'm am talking about the intent of the form. If I as an individual am
selling you goods as an individual I do not view that as "merchandise" when
I fill in the form. If I as an entrepreneur were selling goods to you and
others for profit then I’d be more likely to view it as "merchandise". I
think the scale should be taken into account.

Otherwise, define "commercial organisation". Is a Brickbay store a
commercial organisation?

I think that would depend on its revenue?

So if you make enough money, you're a commercial organisation? What if I
sell you my car? Is that enough? What if I sell cookies that I make every
weekend? How about if I just sell cookies for one weekend?

Problem I have is that defining "commercial organisation" is really tough--
*plus* I don't see it as being the requirement for merchandise. I'd assess
it qualitatively, not quantitatively. IE what makes it merchandise is the
fact that it was paid for, not how *much* was paid.

From a legal perspective, sure, I have no problem saying "any
individual/group recieving X dollars for Y delivered products to Z clients
is legally considered to be a commercial organisation and their products
legally considered to be 'merchandise', whereas other products sold are not"
or something similar. But we're not talking law-- we're talking 'honesty'.

DaveE