 Off-Topic / Debate / 14768
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 06:24:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
However, your "act of kindness" may result in a lot of extra trouble for the
recipient, if it's proved false. At best, they'll have to pay the duty anyway,
but there may well be other penalties.

How can someone be held accountable for something they did not do?  Customs
would have to prove that the recipient falsely asked me to mark the package
as a gift. Failing that, the recipient has done no wrong -- committed no
positive act in the furtherance of a crime.

Ross, have you ever even heard of such an incident?  It seems unlikely to me
in the extreme...

-- Hop-Frog