 Off-Topic / Debate / 14627
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:07:56 GMT

By the way, I am not "honest" (to the extent of never marking "gift") when
it comes to dealing with governments that are dishonest. I have not
voluntarily entered into any contract with them that entitles them to my
(non reciprocated) honesty.

But you would probably argue that you are *moral*, while dishonest, or at
least "not immoral", I'm guessing? Or at least that you would argue that one
could *be* dishonest (by marking "gift") and yet still be moral, even though
maybe you're not in this case?

No, I would argue that it is *not* dishonest to lie to someone or something
that has first lied to me. Which is why I put "honest" in quotes because the
definition of honesty that would require me to sacrifice myself at the whim
of a government in answering a question that is none of their business, is
not one I accept.