 Off-Topic / Debate / 14762
Re: EconMinutae 101 (was: Customs question...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 01:48:34 GMT

If my seven year old son trades his PBJ at the lunch table in school for the
next kid's swiss on rye, was it merchandise?  If not, is it because of your
profit clause above, or because it wasn't a cash transaction?  He thought
it was a profitable transaction.  And Wwat if I'm trading LEGO for LEGO?

I think we're getting way off here-- the question is "Is it honest to mark
packages as 'gift'?" Is the PBJ merchandise? Eh, I dunno. I'd hesitate to
call it such. But I certainly wouldn't call it a gift. If you're trading
Lego for Lego? Eh, still fuzzy on whether it's merchandise (in my book). But
I definitely wouldn't mark it as a "gift" unless I thought I wasn't getting
something in return. Or, that is to say, I would call me marking it as a
gift dishonest.

DaveE