 Marketplace / Theory / 2207
Re: Customs question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 06:41:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
Ben Gatrelle wrote:
Of course I can only speak from my personal experience. I am in the US and
have both sent and received international packages.  If I am sending a
package for which I have received parts in trade, I mark it as gift. If I am
selling it for money I mark it as merchandise and enter the appropriate value.

This is the rule I have been using.

   I generally do that as well, provided it's a purely business
   transaction--if I'm buying on proxy for someone else, as Frank
   well knows, I mark it "gift."  But then again, as Frank notes,
   we don't pay duty on (toy parts, construction, plastic).  I also
   served as conduit for someone else who bought nearly $1000 in
   European service packs, and there was no duty there either--
   but again, I put them down as "gift" (in both cases, not really
   gift, but the Euro-quivalent {cadeau}).

As a receiver I have gotten packages marked as both merchandise and as gift
and have never had to pay any taxes to get my package (including some really
big boxes from DYA in France).

We have an advantage in the US, there is no duty on construction toys.

   95033000.  95033000.  That's what you put in the "description of
   contents" for customs  Oddly, other sorts of toys (especially wooden
   toys) *are* dutied, so the type of toy is important, and if you just
   say "toys" they may choose to duty it.

   IIRC ETS-DYA always tagged my packages "merchandise."  I have never
   had to pay duty.

   best

   LFB