 Off-Topic / Debate / 14597
Re: New Site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:27:11 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:GMJw8t.29z@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Adam Wood writes:

Yup. But I can't resist hassling Christians. It's what I do best. I • need
_some_ outlet for being forced to do twelve years in a Catholic • College....

Issues, dude.  Get over it.

Yes, that was a true hassling. I hope you consider yourselves hassled, or
else more hasslement will ensue. I am over it. Mostly. :0P~~~

For real.  I worked in food service for over a decade and hated it, but
you won't see me mocking employees of that industry.  How you react to • the
years spent in Catholic College (12 years in college?  For what degree
program?) is entirely your responsibility--how does hassling innocent
Christians assuage your unpleasant school experiences?

   It depends, I think, on what he means by "Catholic" versus
   "Christian" in that context, Dave!  (See?  A conforming Dave!
   And another one!  I'm good at using Dave!  See?  Did it again!)
   It could mean one of two things:

   -He hated Catholic school, so he hassles Christians out of
    rebellion/disgust/disenchantment; or
   -He learned well in Catholic school, so he hassles Christians--
    who, in this sense, are Protestant and thus effectively
    heretical--using the tools he gained there to do so.

   I think "College" may refer to the campus environment of some
   Catholic day schools.  I could be wrong, though--but D.Div and
   other theological programs are usually 8 years, not 12.  YMMV,
   of course.

'College', down here, can refer to any private school, but usually only up
to year 12 (primary and secondary schooling). Territiary is either
'technical college' (TAFE), or university... So it is pretty open ended, but
for the record,  I spent yr 1-4 in a RC shool in Perth, 5-7 in an RC school
in Merredin, 8-12 in an RC 'college' (Lumen Christi Catholic College) in
Perth. High school involved foced attendance of mass on Friday and (by my
parents) on Sunday, as well as 4 hours of Religious Education a week. I had
totally lost my faith by yr9, but despite protestations by me, my parents
thought that I should still have shit shovelled down my throat for another
three years. During my rebelious (goth) 'phase' I had all manner of people
continually coming up to me, trying to get me to come along to 'free'
Christian concerts, hassling me about god and the whole bible thing, while I
was waiting for buses (you can't run away from that) and the usual Mormons
coming around once a month and waking me on Sundays. Even our cleaner used
to try and convince me to coming around with her to her Christian Doomsday
cult (I forget the 'actual' name)

SO - by asking if you want some 'subservise' music, it's not what I would
really consider a hassling. Now if you want a hassling, just ask. I am very
interested in the teachings of Jesus. I still don't belive in a god, or that
Christ was any more than a schizophrenic with a few good ideas, but I know
enough to hold my own.

Not too sure what you mean by Catholics being Protestant... Church of
England? Anglican? RC's aren't Protestant. Ask anyone in Ireland...

   Oh, yeah, and that fast food thing?  I worked at Taco Bell, I
   still eat at Taco Bell (and in fact have more sympathy for those
   workers because of it); I worked at Domino's, and I still love
   pizza [1] (and tip really well).

I worked in Hungry Jacks (Burger King) for five years, and Pizza Hut for
four. Just looking at the food staorage in HJs I'm surprised there haven't
been more lawsuits against them.... Pizza Hut are still pretty good though.
But working in a McJob hardly means that you have to bend over and be, err,
brain-washed to follow what it says in the three-ringed binder. Hell, they
even -pay- you for showing up. If you don't wash the fat-traps 100% you're
hardly going to have the weight of two-thousand years of guilt thrust upon
you, and the threat of eternal damnation (ok, I'm going a bit overboard
here, but you get the picture) Very rarely do I find people trying to hassle
me (sometimes for hours on end) into joining with <name your favorite
fast-food chain>. A McJob is just a job. A religion is a way of life.

BTW - I don't go out of my way to hassle Christians. Only when they're
pushing their faith in my face :0) It's called tit-for-tat - Hardly
following 'the teachings of Christ', but not many RCs follow them either...

I think this was posted in .au - enjoy... http://www.jesusdressup.com/