 Off-Topic / Fun / 8416
Re: New Site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:28:43 GMT

"Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:GMIEn9.L6r@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tim Courtney writes:

Now I'm realizing that _all_ new music is cheesy.  I'll stick to my • classic
rock :-)

Eek, Tim, you can't be saying that yet, that's one of the first signs • you're
getting OLD!

Hehe.  Well, I have seemed to have skipped the teenybopper slave to
marketing and poorly written music phase, so I suppose I am getting old. ;-)

Maggie C. (major Pink Floyd Led Zep fan... and closet Cheap Trick fan-- I
named my first-born son Robin!)

:-D  All great bands!  I like Zep, Boston, Kansas, and some 80s stuff like
Van Halen, Whitesnake, Mellencamp.... my tastes are all over the board, but
I only gravitate towards quality music.

One of my professors told me that sometime in the last 5 years music sales
for older albums surpassed sales for newer ones - first time in history [1].
I'll have to get the exact reference from her.  Both of us are interested in
media criticism and debate over hyper-commercialization, etc, which brought
that topic up.

-Tim

[1] I know I screwed that statistic up, but its something along those lines.
I'll eventually get to the source of it and learn more of the context too.
Point being - today's music is almost all marketing and little soul.